トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Rafael Devers has no interest in ceding 3B to new Gold Glove Red Sox teammate Alex Bregman: 'Third base is my position'ン

Rafael Devers has no interest in ceding 3B to new Gold Glove Red Sox teammate Alex Bregman: 'Third base is my position'

Failed to fetch item
Error Code: 700-500
Session Id: npl2zjye (Pls: e3a1261c-6e3d-4558-8d9c-6c4dd3f8f7b4)

This should be interesting.

The Boston Red Sox made a late free-agency splash by signing two-time All-Star Alex Bregman last week. The move makes the Red Sox better on both sides of the ball but leaves manager Alex Cora with some decisions to make.

Bregman plays third base, and the Red Sox already have an established third baseman in three-time All-Star Rafael Devers. Devers, an eight-year veteran in Boston, has no intention of ceding his position to the new guy. He made his feelings clear while speaking to reporters through an interpreter Monday.

“Third base is my position,” Devers said, per MLB.com. “It’s what I’ve played. I don’t know what their plans are. I know we had a conversation. I made it clear, kind of what my desires were, and whatever happens from here, I don’t know.”

Devers was then asked if he's open to moving to designated hitter. He didn't wait for his interpreter to translate before providing his answer.

"No," he said.

"I play third," he continued when asked to expand on his answer.

Devers was then asked whose decision it is to make.

"Like I said, my position is third base," he responded. "Whatever it is that they want to do is what they want to do, but I feel like my position is third base."

He then clarified that he told the Red Sox no when asked about serving as the designated hitter.

This could get awkward in the Red Sox clubhouse.

Rafael Devers has no interest in moving to designated hitter. (Maddie Malhotra/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
Rafael Devers has no interest in moving to designated hitter. (Maddie Malhotra/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)

The problem for Devers is that he's not a very good third baseman. In fact, he ranks among the worst third basemen in baseball in multiple advanced metrics, including outs above average (OAA) and fielding run value (FRV).

Bregman, by comparison, is one of the best third basemen in baseball. He won a Gold Glove at the position last season. If Cora wants Bregman at third, it's a no-brainer baseball decision.

But Devers is a veteran team leader and one of the better hitters in baseball. He's a two-time Silver Slugger who slashed .272/.354/.516 last season with 28 home runs and 83 RBI. His hitting prowess, obviously, has nothing to do with his ability to play third base. But his resistance to moving from the position is one more thing for Cora to consider when figuring out his lineup.

Cora previously said he'd make the decision late in spring training, ahead of Boston's March 27 season opener at the Texas Rangers. On Monday, he suggested to reporters that Devers shouldn't expect the Red Sox to honor any promises about playing third base made by previous head of baseball operations Chaim Bloom, who's now with the St. Louis Cardinals.

"Different people are here, right?" Cora said. "There's a different leader here. Chaim is in St. Louis right now."

Bregman has taken reps at second base since joining the Red Sox at their spring training site in Fort Myers, Florida, and Cora previously said he's confident that Bregman could succeed at second.

But Cora doesn't sound interested in conceding third base to Devers just because he wants to play there.

"The decisions that are going to be made here about roster construction and about what we’re going to do in the future, we’re going to make sure we have the best team possible out there,” Cora said. "[Devers] has a lot of pride. We know that.

"He feels like he’s a third baseman. He’s going to work out as a third baseman, and then we’re gonna make decisions accordingly. I think here it’s not about Bregman or Devers or Cora. It’s about the Red Sox. Whatever decision we make is for the benefit of the team.”

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

あなたにおすすめ
Benny Blanco Doubles-Down on His Unusual Showering Habits — Including 1 That Made Fiancée Selena Gomez Say 'Whoa'
Benny Blanco Doubles-Down on His Unusual Showering Habits — Including 1 That Made Fiancée Selena Gomez Say 'Whoa'
InterviewMag/TikTok
Seven & i's management reshuffle continues as two independent directors resign
Seven & i's management reshuffle continues as two independent directors resign
TOKYO (Reuters) -Two independent directors of Japan's Seven & i Holdings have resigned, the convenience store operator said on Wednesday, as it rejigs its management in the face of a $47 billion takeover bid from Canada's Alimentation Couche-Tard.
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliation
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliation
(Bloomberg) -- Supply Lines is a daily newsletter that tracks global trade. Sign up here.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Rich Rodriguez says he's banned his West Virginia players from dancing on TikTok
Rich Rodriguez says he's banned his West Virginia players from dancing on TikTok
If West Virginia has a strong season in 2025, Rich Rodriguez may point to a lack of TikTok dancing as a reason why.
"I Was In My 20s Before I'd Ever Heard Of It": People Are Sharing The Now-Common Foods That Used To Be Exotic
"I Was In My 20s Before I'd Ever Heard Of It": People Are Sharing The Now-Common Foods That Used To Be Exotic
As the times have changed, the kinds of foods that we have readily available have expanded exponentially. From being able to buy certain fruits and vegetables year-round to being exposed to foods from other cultures, older adults on Reddit shared the foods that they once thought of as very special and exotic that you can get in any supermarket now, and it's pretty darn eye-opening. Here are some of the top comments:
Trump, Putin Teams to Talk in Saudi on Ukraine as Europe Fumes
Trump, Putin Teams to Talk in Saudi on Ukraine as Europe Fumes
(Bloomberg) -- Top US and Russian officials are to meet in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday to discuss how to end the war in Ukraine, without anyone from Kyiv taking part and as Europe struggles to respond to the rapid pace of events.

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
Mazda makes cost-saving effort as inflation threatens to drive up investment spending
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese automaker Mazda Motor said on Tuesday it will keep investments in its electrification efforts in check by making use of partnerships and its existing manufacturing plants after inflation threatened to push up costs.
Mazda makes cost-saving effort as inflation threatens to drive up investment spending
Travis Kelce has grown up, says Jason Kelce
Travis Kelce is "changing" because of new people in his life. The 35-sports star has been dating singer Taylor Swift since 2023, and Jason Kelce, Travis' older brother, has been staggered by his sibling's personal evolution. Speaking about his brother's growth, Jason said on the 'Fitz and Whit' podcast: "It’s been staggering, honestly." The 37-year-old star recalled Travis having a Peter Pan-like quality during his younger years. Jason said: "One of the things I love so much about Travis is that he never grew up. He was like Peter Pan, the lost boys." Jason acknowledged that the new people in Travis' life have had a healthy influence on him in recent times. The former NFL star said: "I think that sometimes you get people in your life that maybe get that out of you. That’s a good thing." Despite this, Travis has retained a playful side to his personality. Jason explained: "Trav, he is growing up. He’s still got that youthful enthusiasm. I think he’ll kind of always have that. It’s just part of his personality." Meanwhile, Travis recently admitted to feeling inspired by Taylor during her Eras Tour. The Kansas City Chiefs star admitted to taking inspiration from Taylor, 35, and her record-breaking tour. Speaking ahead of the Super Bowl, Travis explained: "What I saw on that tour last year was pretty remarkable. "To see the week-in, week-out travelling from one country to the next and how excruciating it is on her body and on her mind - and it’s not just her. It was her entire tour. It was an absolute machine and it was something I could admire watching." Travis also revealed that he was focusing on his diet ahead of the Super Bowl. He said: "I’ve been eating clean. I haven’t been drinking as much, a little lower on the pounds this week."
Travis Kelce has grown up, says Jason Kelce
Richard Simmons' Brother Lenny Slams Housekeeper's Claim He Spent $843K from Late Fitness Guru's Trust (Exclusive)
Richard Simmons/X
Richard Simmons' Brother Lenny Slams Housekeeper's Claim He Spent $843K from Late Fitness Guru's Trust (Exclusive)
Ottawa Draft Pick Filip Nordberg Highlights USHL Players of the Week
The USHL announced its Players of the Week on Monday as NTDP forward Richard Gallant, Sioux Falls defenseman Filip Nordberg and Des Moines goaltender Max Weilandt took home the respective honors for games played between March 3-9.
Ottawa Draft Pick Filip Nordberg Highlights USHL Players of the Week
3 Canadian Stocks I Loaded Up on in 2024 for Long-Term Wealth
Written by Amy Legate-Wolfe at The Motley Fool Canada
3 Canadian Stocks I Loaded Up on in 2024 for Long-Term Wealth
Jack Whitehall teases 'really big night' at the BRITs
Jack Whitehall is planning "a really big night" for his BRITs return. The 36-year-old comedian is set to host the awards show for the fifth time in his career on March 1, and Jack is thrilled that he has another chance to host the annual event. Speaking to The Sun newspaper's Bizarre column, Jack explained: "The last show I did was in 2021, which had a fair few restrictions due to COVID. "So it always felt like, due to circumstances beyond my control, I’d maybe gone out with a little bit of a whimper. "I think the Brits 2025 is going to make up for that and be a really big night. "When I first started out I was just like ‘Jack, don’t mess this up. This is such a big opportunity’. You don’t want to say the wrong thing and insult someone and then get taken off air. Then I got to a point where I was like, ‘It’s probably best now to not outstay my welcome’. And now, here I am, back again." Jack previously admitted that he can't wait to return to the role of host, describing the BRITs as his "favourite night of the year". The stand-up comedy star said: "They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, and that is absolutely the case with the BRIT Awards. It is my favourite night of the year." Jack hasn't been available to host the show in recent years due to his jam-packed work schedule. But he's now available and he's thrilled to be hosting the event once again. An insider previously told The Sun newspaper: "Jack is such a brilliant BRITs host and isn’t afraid to take the p*** out of some of the world’s biggest stars. "He has such a hectic diary that he’s been unable to take part for the past few years. But he was available this time and said yes immediately. It is one of his favourite gigs as he can have some real fun with the celebs."
Jack Whitehall teases 'really big night' at the BRITs
Bank of Canada urged to 'take a breather' and hold rates as Trump rattles trade
The Bank of Canada should hold its benchmark interest rate steady at 3.25 per cent at its upcoming January meeting, giving policymakers time to digest U.S. President Donald Trump’s vision for Canada-U.S. trade policy.
Bank of Canada urged to 'take a breather' and hold rates as Trump rattles trade
Shelter-in-place order lifted with 1 in custody, Langley RCMP say
Langley RCMP have lifted a shelter-in-place order issued Tuesday afternoon for residents in the 4400-block of 236 Street.
Shelter-in-place order lifted with 1 in custody, Langley RCMP say
Hedge funds, pharma CEOs on list of attendees for China business summit
By Laurie Chen
Hedge funds, pharma CEOs on list of attendees for China business summit
Mexico awaits new response from Google on dispute over Gulf of Mexico name before filing lawsuit
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico said Monday it's awaiting a new response from Google to its request that the tech company fully restore the name Gulf of Mexico to its Google Maps service before filing a lawsuit.
Mexico awaits new response from Google on dispute over Gulf of Mexico name before filing lawsuit
India’s Sony Yay! Launches ‘CID Squad’ as Part of Strategic ‘HUB’ Expansion: ‘Animation for All’ (EXCLUSIVE)
Indian kids channel Sony Yay! is set to introduce “CID Squad,” a first-of-its-kind animated investigative thriller that reimagines India’s iconic “CID” franchise for a new generation.
India’s Sony Yay! Launches ‘CID Squad’ as Part of Strategic ‘HUB’ Expansion: ‘Animation for All’ (EXCLUSIVE)
The Stock Market Selloff Looks Scary. Watch This Sign for the Time to Buy.
The VIX, which spent much of January and February at or below its long-term average of about 19.5, leapt to 27.1 Monday. Key levels to watch for.
The Stock Market Selloff Looks Scary. Watch This Sign for the Time to Buy.
Trump backs latest Canada, Mexico tariffs and preps markets for 'a little disturbance' during first address to Congress
Donald Trump stood behind his ambitious tariff plans, lavished praise on Elon Musk's controversial DOGE effort, vowed to end a Biden-era chips subsidy law, and pledged to look for rare earth minerals in the US during a 90-minute joint address to Congress Tuesday night.
Trump backs latest Canada, Mexico tariffs and preps markets for 'a little disturbance' during first address to Congress
Bruins Stars To Clash In Epic 4 Nations Face-Off Final
Team Canada defeated Team Finland by a 5-3 final score on Feb. 17. With this, they will officially face off against Team USA in the 4 Nations Face-Off Final. This will, without a doubt, be an incredible game.
Bruins Stars To Clash In Epic 4 Nations Face-Off Final
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco taking wedding planning 'one day at a time'
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco are taking "one day at a time" with their wedding planning. The newly-engaged lovebirds aren't rushing into their big day, and 37-year-old musician joked his bride-to-be, 32, is constantly coming up with a whole new idea. He told Rolling Stone magazine in a joint interview: “I think every day she’s planned a new wedding in her head. “We’re very much ‘take it one day at a time’ type of people. We’re still not over this moment. "Literally, while you were talking, she was sitting there staring at her ring.” The 'Only Murders In The Building' actress pointed out that for now, they're focused on the upcoming release of their collaborative album 'I Said I Love You First'. She added: “Also, I genuinely feel like this is such a special time that we get to apply it to this album and really just pour our heart into it, and completely translate what we feel and bring it to the world. "That’s my main focus right now, at least.” In December last year, Selena revealed Benny had proposed using an oval-shaped ring with a large diamond. He popped the question during a picnic which featured Taco Bell, but he insisted there wasn't an "elaborate" meaning behind the fast food involvement, He explained: “There’s not this whole elaborate thing. I think we’re very lucky to be surrounded by such great people, and we’ve still just been enjoying so much. “It feels like we got engaged yesterday, but also feels like we got engaged 20 years ago. I’ve known her since she was 18, and so it’s like we got all that stuff out of the way. "By the time we’re dating, it’s like, whoa. My biggest regret is that we didn’t get to do this earlier, like we waited this long to be together. But I know it was perfect and it was right.”
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco taking wedding planning 'one day at a time'
Watch Pete Davidson Say 'Butt Sniffer 2000' and More Silly Lines for His “Dog Man” Role in Exclusive Video
Pete Davidson had a blast in the recording booth while creating his playful role in Dog Man.
Watch Pete Davidson Say 'Butt Sniffer 2000' and More Silly Lines for His “Dog Man” Role in Exclusive Video
Justin Chon & Elijah Bynum Teaming On Sci-Fi Film ‘Capsule’ For 20th Century Studios
EXCLUSIVE: Justin Chon (Blue Bayou) is in talks to direct Capsule, a new sci-fi film for 20th Century Studios.
Justin Chon & Elijah Bynum Teaming On Sci-Fi Film ‘Capsule’ For 20th Century Studios
J.Crew Launches Spring Edition of Newly Revived Print Catalog
"Hearst Magazines and Yahoo may earn commission or revenue on some items through these links."
J.Crew Launches Spring Edition of Newly Revived Print Catalog
Tori Spelling doesn't drink water
Tori Spelling doesn't drink water. The former 'Beverly Hills 90210' star, 51, has confessed she has an "aversion" to the drink and does everything she can to avoid it - revealing she opts for coconut water or soda instead and joking she's like a "cacti". During an appearance on her 'MisSPELLING' podcast, she explained: "I don't drink water. And when I say I don't drink water, I don't drink water. "How I'm still living, no one knows. I'm like a cacti. Just water me once in a while, and I somehow survive. But I have an aversion to it." She added: "I'm trying this new thing since I don't like water. I'm like, okay, I actually enjoy the taste of coconut water. "I can guzzle, like, a glass of wine in, like, two seconds. No problem. But I take a few sips of water and swallow gently, and all of a sudden, I'm like, 'I wanna puke.' " Tori - who is mom to five children with her ex Dean McDermott - went on to admit she did try drinking water during her pregnancies but it was tough. She said: "[I tried] because you have to hydrate the baby growing in you. But in my mind, I was like: 'I'm drinking for them, not myself'." The TV star also confessed she struggles with an "irrational" fear of being poisoned whenever someone hands her a drink -which baffled her ex Dean - and she joked it stems from her late father Aaron Spelling's dramatic TV shows. She explained: "I’m Aaron Spelling's daughter, hello. The creator of drama-rama storytelling ... "[Dean said] 'You're the mother of my children. Why would I want to poison you?’ And I was like: ‘Listen. It's not personal. I think this about everybody.’ " However, Tori is convinced the fear does stem from her childhood when her mom Candy would attempt to get her to take medicine by hiding it in a drink. She said: "I would say: ‘What'd you put in here? Like, what are you giving me?’ And she would say the same thing: ‘What, you think I'm trying to poison you?’ ” "This goes back to childhood. This crazy, irrational fear of handed over liquids from other people. I don't drink water. I don't call it a fear of water. I just like to say I hate water. I have an allergy to water."
Tori Spelling doesn't drink water
Samsung Electronics to cancel $2.11 billion worth of own shares
SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics has decided to cancel 3.05 trillion won ($2.11 billion) worth of its own shares that it had acquired previously, the company said in a regulatory filing.
Samsung Electronics to cancel $2.11 billion worth of own shares

Advertisement