トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliationン
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliation
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliation · Bloomberg

In This Article:

(Bloomberg) -- Supply Lines is a daily newsletter that tracks global trade. Sign up here.

Most Read from Bloomberg

President Donald Trump’s 25% tariffs on steel and aluminum imports came into force Wednesday, triggering an immediate reprisal from the European Union as the global trade war enters a new and perilous phase.

The latest US tariffs — which were applied without exemptions — kicked in after a tumultuous day at the White House, when Trump threatened to double the metals tariffs on Canada to 50%. He backed off when Ontario agreed to drop plans to impose a surcharge on electricity sent to the US — all while downplaying the risk of a tariff-led recession that has sent US markets plunging.

The metals tariffs apply worldwide, with effects extending to economic rivals as well as close US allies. Major Asian producers including South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and Australia held off on retaliating. The UK said it would focus on “rapidly negotiating a wider economic agreement.”

China, which wasn’t explicitly targeted in the latest trade salvo, didn’t immediately respond — but it did summon US retailer Walmart Inc., following reports the US retailer was urging Chinese suppliers to help absorb higher costs.

The European Commission had the strongest reaction so far. It launched “swift and proportionate countermeasures” on US imports, reimposing balancing measures from 2018 and 2020 and adding a new list of industrial and agricultural goods. The EU’s countermeasures will apply to US goods exports worth up to €26 billion — matching the economic scope of the US tariffs, it said.

“We deeply regret this measure,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in a statement. “Tariffs are taxes. They are bad for business, and even worse for consumers.”

Trump’s move to widen his trade offensive comes at a hazardous juncture seven weeks into his second term. His rapid effort to rewire the US economy as a global manufacturing power has rattled financial markets, spooked consumers still haunted by pandemic-era inflation and fueled recession fears amid mounting uncertainty for corporate America.

Investors largely took the news in stride. Aluminum was up 0.3% on the London Metal Exchange after the tariffs kicked in, while hot-rolled coil — a key steel product — rose 0.4% on the Shanghai Futures Exchange. Stocks were little moved.

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

あなたにおすすめ
Trade war would sink TSX 20% or more: Jefferies analyst
Trade war would sink TSX 20% or more: Jefferies analyst
The S&P/TSX Composite index could see an “immediate” drop of more than 10 per cent as a consequence of the nascent Canada–U.S. trade war, a Jefferies Financial Group analyst says, with an eventual decline “upwards of 20 per cent” possible “when the dust settles.”
Dodgers' Roki Sasaki offers glimpse of tantalizing potential in anticipated spring training debut
Dodgers' Roki Sasaki offers glimpse of tantalizing potential in anticipated spring training debut
GLENDALE, Ariz. — It’s not too often a sellout crowd is in attendance to see a pitcher who's not starting, but that was the case Tuesday as the world waited to finally watch Japanese phenom Roki Sasaki make his spring training debut for the Los Angeles Dodgers against the Cincinnati Reds. It’s been a slow ramp-up to game action for Sasaki, who signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers this winter. And after pitching in a simulated game last week, he got his first take of game action under the lights at Camelback Ranch.
OnlyFans Model Amouranth Details Shooting at Intruders After Being Pistol Whipped During Home Invasion
OnlyFans Model Amouranth Details Shooting at Intruders After Being Pistol Whipped During Home Invasion
x

Advertisement

Advertisement

Stephen Colbert Slams Trump’s Joint Session of Congress as ‘Filled With Useful Lies’ and ‘Applauded by Useless Idiots’: ‘Another Two Hours We’ll Never Get Back’
Stephen Colbert Slams Trump’s Joint Session of Congress as ‘Filled With Useful Lies’ and ‘Applauded by Useless Idiots’: ‘Another Two Hours We’ll Never Get Back’
During tonight’s live broadcast of “The Late Show,” Stephen Colbert recapped President Donald Trump’s joint address to Congress and criticized many of the talking points made during the almost two-hour speech.
US official says South Korea's watchlist status due to mishandling of lab data
US official says South Korea's watchlist status due to mishandling of lab data
By Hyunjoo Jin and Josh Smith
Bride Calls Off Wedding After Discovering Fiancé Secretly Bought a House with His Mom: ‘Giant Red Flag’
Bride Calls Off Wedding After Discovering Fiancé Secretly Bought a House with His Mom: ‘Giant Red Flag’
Andy Dean Photography/Getty Stock Image

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
Rangers' Playoff Hopes Take Another Hit With Loss To Jets
The New York Rangers left some critical points on the table once again as they lost 2-1 to the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night.
Rangers' Playoff Hopes Take Another Hit With Loss To Jets
What should the Jets do at QB? Assessing the biggest needs for all 16 AFC teams | Football 301
Nate Tice and Matt Harmon are back to break down the biggest needs for every single AFC team. But first, they debut a new segment as we approach the NFL Draft and focus on Arizona WR Tet McMillan. Then they pivot to the AFC East, where they question what the New York Jets plan to do at quarterback after the team announced they are parting ways with Aaron Rodgers. After that, the guys discuss the AFC North, diving into the biggest needs for the Cincinnati Bengals to place around Joe Burrow and the Steelers quarterback conundrum. Nate and Matt wrap things up with the AFC South and West, asking why the Jacksonville Jaguars still don’t have a general manager and suggesting free agent QB Sam Darnold as a good fit for the Las Vegas Raiders.
What should the Jets do at QB? Assessing the biggest needs for all 16 AFC teams | Football 301
Kevin Spacey tells Guy Pearce to 'grow up'
Kevin Spacey has told Guy Pearce to "grow up" after the actor claimed he was "targeted" by his former co-star. The 65-year-old actor has taken to social media to hit back at Guy's recent claims, insisting that the 57-year-old star is "not a victim". In a video posted on X, Kevin - who starred alongside Guy in the 1997 movie 'L.A. Confidential' - said: "Guy Pearce, I've now read the comments that you made about me and while I would have preferred not to have to play this out in the media, you obviously have your own reasons for wanting to do exactly that. "But, we worked together a long time ago, you know? If I did something then that upset you, you could've reached out to me. We could've had that conversation. But instead, you've decided to speak to the press, who are now coming after me because they would like to know what my response is to the things that you've said. "You really want to know what my response is? Grow up." Kevin - whose career previously went into freefall after he was accused of sexual misconduct by a number of men - actually recalled spending time with Guy after they filmed 'L.A. Confidential'. He continued: "Did you also, by the way, tell the press that a year after we shot 'L.A. Confidential', you flew to Georgia while I was shooting 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' just to spend time with me?" Kevin also questioned why his former co-star took so long to voice his concerns. The actor - who was acquitted by a jury of sexual assault charges in 2023 - explained: "Here you are now on a mission some 28 years later, after I've been through hell and back, to do what? "I've got nothing to hide. But Guy, you need to grow up. You are not a victim." By contrast, Guy recently claimed that he was "targeted" by his former co-star. The actor told the 'Awards Chatter' podcast: "I was sort of scared of Kevin because he’s quite an aggressive man. "He’s extremely charming and brilliant at what he does - really impressive, etc. He holds a room remarkably. But I was young and susceptible, and he targeted me, no question."
Kevin Spacey tells Guy Pearce to 'grow up'
‘Broadchurch’ Creator Chris Chibnall’s Debut Novel Being Made Into ITV Drama Series
Former Doctor Who and Broadchurch showrunner Chris Chibnall’s debut novel is becoming an ITV drama series.
‘Broadchurch’ Creator Chris Chibnall’s Debut Novel Being Made Into ITV Drama Series
Music Industry Moves: Andrew Klein Named President of Global Partnerships at AEG; Warner Chappell Ups Gabz Landman
AEG Presents has upped Andrew Klein, who previously held the title of senior vice president of global partnerships, to president of global partnerships.
Music Industry Moves: Andrew Klein Named President of Global Partnerships at AEG; Warner Chappell Ups Gabz Landman
Suncor CEO: 'If we were in a world of tariffs, I like our position'
Suncor Energy (SU.TO)(SU) CEO Rich Kruger says his company is better prepared than its Canadian oil and gas rivals to withstand a trade war with the United States, echoing recent comments from Bay Street analysts.
Suncor CEO: 'If we were in a world of tariffs, I like our position'
'Radically less': Canadian fixed-rate mortgages falling on lower bond yields
Fixed mortgage rates in Canada have fallen in recent days as risks to the economy push Canadian bond yields to significant lows, a mortgage expert says.
'Radically less': Canadian fixed-rate mortgages falling on lower bond yields
Panthers blow 2-goal third period lead, lose in Boston 3-2
Things were looking great for the Florida Panthers on Tuesday night in Boston, until they weren’t.
Panthers blow 2-goal third period lead, lose in Boston 3-2
Plane Passenger Says Mom Threw a Fit After She Wouldn’t Give Up Her Seat so Woman Could Sit with Adult Children
Getty
Plane Passenger Says Mom Threw a Fit After She Wouldn’t Give Up Her Seat so Woman Could Sit with Adult Children
Islanders Lose Boqvist, Go Scoreless On Eight Power Plays In 4-1 Loss To Los Angeles
If the New York Islanders didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all.
Islanders Lose Boqvist, Go Scoreless On Eight Power Plays In 4-1 Loss To Los Angeles
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco taking wedding planning 'one day at a time'
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco are taking "one day at a time" with their wedding planning. The newly-engaged lovebirds aren't rushing into their big day, and 37-year-old musician joked his bride-to-be, 32, is constantly coming up with a whole new idea. He told Rolling Stone magazine in a joint interview: “I think every day she’s planned a new wedding in her head. “We’re very much ‘take it one day at a time’ type of people. We’re still not over this moment. "Literally, while you were talking, she was sitting there staring at her ring.” The 'Only Murders In The Building' actress pointed out that for now, they're focused on the upcoming release of their collaborative album 'I Said I Love You First'. She added: “Also, I genuinely feel like this is such a special time that we get to apply it to this album and really just pour our heart into it, and completely translate what we feel and bring it to the world. "That’s my main focus right now, at least.” In December last year, Selena revealed Benny had proposed using an oval-shaped ring with a large diamond. He popped the question during a picnic which featured Taco Bell, but he insisted there wasn't an "elaborate" meaning behind the fast food involvement, He explained: “There’s not this whole elaborate thing. I think we’re very lucky to be surrounded by such great people, and we’ve still just been enjoying so much. “It feels like we got engaged yesterday, but also feels like we got engaged 20 years ago. I’ve known her since she was 18, and so it’s like we got all that stuff out of the way. "By the time we’re dating, it’s like, whoa. My biggest regret is that we didn’t get to do this earlier, like we waited this long to be together. But I know it was perfect and it was right.”
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco taking wedding planning 'one day at a time'
Dollar firms, Aussie steady after RBA's 'hawkish' rate cut
By Ankur Banerjee
Dollar firms, Aussie steady after RBA's 'hawkish' rate cut
Gypsy-Rose Blanchard Says 'a Whole New World Is About to Open Up' as She Counts Down End of Parole Over Mom's Murder (Exclusive)
Gypsy-Rose Blanchard/Instagram
Gypsy-Rose Blanchard Says 'a Whole New World Is About to Open Up' as She Counts Down End of Parole Over Mom's Murder (Exclusive)
More Canadian CEOs say business may not be viable in 10 years: PwC
More Canadian CEOs say their business may not be viable in a decade, according to PwC’s latest global survey of top executives.
More Canadian CEOs say business may not be viable in 10 years: PwC
Justin Baldoni's lawyer 'surprised by Ryan Reynolds' joke'
Justin Baldoni's lawyer was "surprised" to see Ryan Reynolds joke about his client's ongoing lawsuit. The 48-year-old actor seemingly referenced Justin's legal dispute with Blake Lively, Ryan's wife, during the 'SNL50: The Anniversary Special' over the weekend, and Bryan Freedman, Justin's attorney, has now questioned Ryan's decision to joke about the lawsuit. Appearing on 'Hot Mics with Billy Bush', Bryan said: "I'm unaware of anybody, frankly, whose wife has been sexually harassed and has made jokes about that type of situation. I can't think of anyone who's done anything like that. It surprised me." During the show, Ryan - who was sat among the audience - was asked: "How's it going?" And in response, the Hollywood star replied: "Great, why? What have you heard?" The joke was widely considered to be a reference to Blake's ongoing legal dispute with Justin. The 37-year-old actress has accused Justin, 41, of causing her "severe emotional distress". The movie star - who played Justin's on-screen love interest in 'It Ends with Us' - previously told the New York Times newspaper: "I hope that my legal action helps pull back the curtain on these sinister retaliatory tactics to harm people who speak up about misconduct and helps protect others who may be targeted." Justin - who also directed the 2024 romantic drama film - later denied the allegations, with his lawyer describing the claims as "categorically false". Bryan, who is acting as a lawyer for the actor and his Wayfarer Studios production company, told Variety: "These claims are completely false, outrageous and intentionally salacious with an intent to publicly hurt and rehash a narrative in the media."
Justin Baldoni's lawyer 'surprised by Ryan Reynolds' joke'
Doechii Transforms Into a Couture Queen in Hot off the Runway Valentino Gown
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty
Doechii Transforms Into a Couture Queen in Hot off the Runway Valentino Gown
なんでこんなに金がないんだ…年収700万円、小遣い月5万円、堅実に生きてきた52歳会社員が「限界家計」発覚に絶句。受験目前の我が子に頭を下げたワケ
なんでこんなに金がないんだ…年収700万円、小遣い月5万円、堅実に生きてきた52歳会社員が「限界家計」発覚に絶句。受験目前の我が子に頭を下げたワケ
These are the Canadian sectors most vulnerable to Trump tariffs, according to Desjardins
A new Desjardins report says there are five sectors of the Canadian economy that are most vulnerable to incoming U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed tariffs, with exemptions expected for the energy and automotive sectors. "With Trump set to take office on Jan. 20, Canadian companies are rightly highly concerned. Some should be more worried than others," Desjardins principal economist Florence Jean-Jacobs wrote in a report released on Friday.
These are the Canadian sectors most vulnerable to Trump tariffs, according to Desjardins
NHL Fantasy Hockey Waiver Wire Pickups March 18 - Jason Chen's Best Picks
Every Tuesday and Thursday, THN Fantasy expert Jason Chen will highlight his best picks to stream or roster for the rest of the season. The recommended players and goalies are rostered in less than 50 percent of Yahoo leagues and can be selected in standard fantasy leagues or for daily fantasy games.
NHL Fantasy Hockey Waiver Wire Pickups March 18 - Jason Chen's Best Picks
Bank of Canada urged to 'take a breather' and hold rates as Trump rattles trade
The Bank of Canada should hold its benchmark interest rate steady at 3.25 per cent at its upcoming January meeting, giving policymakers time to digest U.S. President Donald Trump’s vision for Canada-U.S. trade policy.
Bank of Canada urged to 'take a breather' and hold rates as Trump rattles trade

Advertisement