トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Dodgers' Roki Sasaki offers glimpse of tantalizing potential in anticipated spring training debutン

Dodgers' Roki Sasaki offers glimpse of tantalizing potential in anticipated spring training debut

GLENDALE, Ariz. — It’s not too often a sellout crowd is in attendance to see a pitcher who's not starting, but that was the case Tuesday as the world waited to finally watch Japanese phenom Roki Sasaki make his spring training debut for the Los Angeles Dodgers against the Cincinnati Reds. It’s been a slow ramp-up to game action for Sasaki, who signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers this winter. And after pitching in a simulated game last week, he got his first take of game action under the lights at Camelback Ranch.

“He was great,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said postgame. “It was just one of those things that we're all kind of waiting to see how he manages his emotions under the lights. First big league game. I thought he was fantastic.”

You could see from the time his feet hit the mound that Sasaki was fired up in his first taste of big-league action, firing his first pitch at 99.2 mph, getting Reds third baseman Noelvi Marte to ground out to shortstop. After experiencing dips in his velocity last season in Japan, one of the questions for the 23-year-old righty this spring has been if his upper-90s velocity would return. The 25 fastballs Sasaki threw during his first outing averaged 98 mph.

“Combination of both [adrenaline and mechanics],” Sasaki said of his velocity in his debut. “Really worked hard in the lab, peeked into the mechanical aspect of my form, and looked at things that I do well and things I wasn't doing well, and was able to really work on things I wanted, wanted to, and I feel like I had a pretty good foundation.”

It wasn’t all smooth sailing for Sasaki, who allowed a base hit and hit a batter in his first inning of work and even pulled a few fastballs out of the zone. But as his manager was hoping to see, he was able to calm himself in those moments.

After a shaky start to his first inning against big-league hitters, Sasaki began to showcase the electric stuff that has made baseball salivate since he was a teenager. The Japanese right-hander froze both TJ Friedl and Matt McLain on two-strike splitters to get out of the fifth-inning jam.

“I was a mixture of excitement and nervousness,” Sasaki said after his debut. “But once I was on the mound I was able to focus and able to pitch.”

But Sasaki’s best inning was his final one, as he twirled an 11-pitch, 1-2-3 seventh. He capped off his introductory performance with a bang, striking out Carlos Jorge to finish the frame. The right-hander tossed three scoreless innings, allowing just two hits with a walk, a hit by pitch and five strikeouts in the Dodgers' 4-2 win.

While the fastball velocity was apparent, Sasaki’s signature splitter was the pitch that really jumped out from his debut. He got seven swings-and-misses with the pitch.

“I think more than anything, it's just good for his confidence,” Roberts said. “I appreciate the fact that you can start that pitch in the strike zone, get swing-and-miss and have them honor that fastball, which they did. And I thought early on, you know, obviously there were some misfires in there. … but he really composed himself really well.”

Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Roki Sasaki (11) throws during the fifth inning of a spring training baseball game against the Cincinnati Reds, Tuesday, March. 4, 2025, in Phoenix. (AP Photo/Darryl Webb)
A sold-out crowd showed up to see Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Roki Sasaki make his spring training debut against the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday in Glendale, Arizona. (AP Photo/Darryl Webb)

All indications are that Sasaki, MLB’s No. 1 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, will appear in the Dodgers’ two-game series in his home country of Japan against the Chicago Cubs. But it’s still to be determined if he will start the second game of the series. Japanese right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto, who started Tuesday, will start Game 1.

The Dodgers will continue to be careful with their young right-hander as he’s gone through his first spring training stateside. L.A. plans to keep him on a schedule of pitching once a week, similar to his schedule when he was pitching in Japan. But the team’s slow ramp-up for Sasaki is in line with several of their other starting pitchers who are working back from injuries, including Tony Gonsolin, Dustin May, Clayton Kershaw and superstar Shohei Ohtani, who is likely to return to the mound in May.

One of the themes this spring throughout Dodgers camp has been keeping in mind that the Japanese phenom is not a finished product, something Sasaki has said about himself as he enters his first season in the States. While the excitement of his first appearance in Dodger blue was apparent, the team doesn’t want to put too much stock in one appearance.

But you can see exactly why every team in baseball wanted to get their hands on him.

“That's the best we've seen him [this spring],” Roberts said. “And you would expect that given he's now really in compete mode. The adrenaline is real. And so we haven't seen 99 mph all spring, so we saw 99 and certainly a lot of swing-and-misses.”

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
OTTAWA — U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs on Canada and Mexico kicked in at midnight, triggering a North American trade war.
How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
Honda ready to revive takeover talks if Nissan CEO Uchida leaves, FT reports
(Reuters) -Honda Motor will resume talks with Nissan Motor to form the world's fourth-biggest automaker provided Nissan CEO Makoto Uchida steps down, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday citing a person familiar with discussions.
Honda ready to revive takeover talks if Nissan CEO Uchida leaves, FT reports
Is The Rangers' Core Still In Need Of A Dissection?
A little more than two months have elapsed since the Rangers corpse was being examined. The question at the time: was the patient alive or not?
Is The Rangers' Core Still In Need Of A Dissection?
Bank of Canada cuts rates as it warns trade war 'would badly hurt economic activity in Canada'
The Bank of Canada cut its benchmark interest rate by 25 basis points on Wednesday and revised down its growth forecasts, as it flagged the “major uncertainty” of looming potential U.S. tariffs.
Bank of Canada cuts rates as it warns trade war 'would badly hurt economic activity in Canada'
Indonesia Forces Exporters to Keep FX Earnings Onshore
(Bloomberg) -- Indonesia is pushing ahead with a plan to force natural resource exporters to keep more foreign exchange earnings onshore in Southeast Asia’s largest economy, aiming to bolster central bank reserves by $80 billion and reverse a slide in the country’s beleaguered currency.
Indonesia Forces Exporters to Keep FX Earnings Onshore
Canada may overshoot population targets, with complications looming: Desjardins
Canada’s population growth likely slowed at the end of 2024, but the government remains “far from achieving” the trimmed targets it set last year, economists at Desjardins Group say.
Canada may overshoot population targets, with complications looming: Desjardins
Three Playoff Clinching Situations Highlight Family Day Action
The 2024-25 WHL season is heating up, and fast. One playoff seed has been claimed (courtesy of the Everett Silvertips) and on Monday's Family Day, three more are eligible to punch their ticket- with a few stipulations.
Three Playoff Clinching Situations Highlight Family Day Action
‘Richard II’ Review: Jonathan Bailey Shows Off His Shakespearean Chops in a Stern, Stripped-Down Production
“Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it.” OK, that’s the wrong play since it’s a line from “Macbeth,” but it best sums up Jonathan Bailey’s performance in the new London production of “Richard II”: The actor cranks up several gears the moment his character is forced by usurper Henry Bullingbrook to give up the throne of England for a life of imprisonment in the second half of director Nicholas Hytner’s staging of Shakespeare’s history play. But the fact that Bailey takes time to catch fire is not entirely his fault, since neither Shakespeare nor Hytner make life easy for him. Given that the play is set at the close of the 14th century, it’s no surprise that Hytner believes the play, which depicts the ushering in of a nation’s decades-long succession crisis, needs contemporary reference points. That explains composer Grant Olding’s doom-laden, grinding, low strings that herald a driving rhythm and a light-touch, bitter piano melody opening the production, a clear hat-tip to Nicholas Britell’s Beethoven-tinged theme to “Succession.” It also governs Bob Crowley’s crisp men-in-black-suits design. The antithesis of the exuberantly colored “Guys and Dolls,” the last show to play at Hytner’s physically versatile Bridge Theatre (and which ran almost two years), this limited run of “Richard II” is stripped-down and stern. Gone is the expected heraldry and splendor of the English court in which King Richard traditionally basks. Instead, the audience is arranged in the round observing a traverse-style black runway staging with changing, minimal locations being lifted up through the floor on hydraulics. It makes for welcome fluidity, highly useful in a play that, for the first half at least, moves through an uncomfortable number of locations and a load of exposition.This is a story about the threat to the kingdom and, specifically, Richard, who ruled neither wisely nor well with absolute power by ancient Divine Right. The nation is torn apart by the plots and counterplots of men and their forces loyal to the crown and those backing Henry Bullingbrook, the Duke of Hereford who, successfully as it turns out, puts his eyes on the ultimate prize and steals it.That the tussle for dominance between the men is so potentially dramatic is illustrated by the fact that around fifty years ago, Richard Pasco and Ian Richardson, two leading Shakespeareans of their day, alternated the roles when they led the play in a celebrated RSC production. Here, alas, the balance is uneven. Royce Pierreson is nicely forthright and determined but his performance is unvarying. The wonderfully character-driven abdication scene between the two men is the production’s highpoint, but elsewhere Pierreson’s determination is too one-note. Anyone questioning the wisdom of the star-casting of “Bridgerton” and “Wicked” talent Bailey should bear in mind that he played Cassio in Hytner’s riveting “Othello” at the National Theatre back in 2013 and followed that with an arresting Edgar/Mad Tom opposite Ian McKellen’s King Lear for director Jonathan Munby. As a result, his handling of the language and, crucially, the intent behind it, is entirely easeful. His king is self-satisfied and perfectly petulant, dispatching orders, and often men’s lives, with gleaming disdain. He’s even better when he’s calmly and quietly coming to understand himself and the nature of his previous selfishness in the play’s highly reflective and tender final scenes.But between those extremes of temperament, the living center of the character remains unseen, robbing the production of strength. That’s partly because he has to energize scenes that here lack force. Hytner is unquestionably one of the great directors of Shakespeare, but this production is uncharacteristically undercast in places. Some of the acting proves more proficient than powerful.
‘Richard II’ Review: Jonathan Bailey Shows Off His Shakespearean Chops in a Stern, Stripped-Down Production
Missing College Freshman's Body Identified After She Was Last Seen at Her Dorm; Family Seeks Answers
Boulder County Sheriff's Office
Missing College Freshman's Body Identified After She Was Last Seen at Her Dorm; Family Seeks Answers
Israel consulted US on its strikes in Gaza, White House told Fox News
By Kanishka Singh
Israel consulted US on its strikes in Gaza, White House told Fox News
Oil inches up on Kazakhstan supply disruption
By Colleen Howe and Trixie Yap
Oil inches up on Kazakhstan supply disruption
Want To Prevent Dementia? Ask These 12 Questions At Your Next Doctor's Appointment.
While you’re probably used to asking your doctor about new moles or a pesky cough, you might not be used to talking to them about your social connections or anxiety.
Want To Prevent Dementia? Ask These 12 Questions At Your Next Doctor's Appointment.
‘100%’ – West Ham ace makes defiant vow as he ramps up recovery from lengthy lay-off
‘100%’ – West Ham ace makes defiant vow as he ramps up recovery from lengthy lay-off
Gal Gadot blames social media for making the world 'very confusing'
Gal Gadot thinks social media has made the world feel "very confusing". The 39-year-old actress' four daughters - Alma, 13, Maya, eight, Daniella, three, and Ori, 12 months - are all growing up in a social media-obsessed society, and Gal believes the ever-increasing reliance on platforms like Instagram and TikTok is actually unhealthy for young women. The Hollywood star - who has been married to businessman Jaron Varsano since 2008 - told DuJour magazine: "I always tell my kids that for me, growing up was so much easier than it is for you. "They grew up with all these filters. With curated postings. They think it’s real, not knowing that it’s been totally filtered and retouched. "I tell them, ‘Whatever you see out there, it’s false, not true.’ It’s a very confusing world for a girl." Gal's family home was "very, very quiet" during her own childhood. But the actress has joked that her home life is now "mayhem". She explained: "I wanted to have a messy home with mayhem and all that." Gal actually relishes the noise and energy created by her children. The actress said: "If you come to my house, they laugh, they fight, they cry. It’s a whole range of emotions, and I love it. Yes, it’s a lot. I juggle. I do my best and we have help and my husband does the best job as a dad. I don’t sleep a lot." Gal previously admitted that it's not easy to balance her acting career with her family life. The 'Wonder Woman' star told Glamour magazine in 2020: "You have to balance between having a career and having a family. It's something that is always a handful and my career takes a lot."
Gal Gadot blames social media for making the world 'very confusing'
Tracy Morgan taken out of New York Knicks game in wheelchair
Tracy Morgan was taken out of a New York Knicks game in a wheelchair after appearing to fall ill during the game. The 56-year-old comic was sitting courtside at Madison Square Garden on Monday (17.03.25) when, according to photos and footage circulating online, he began vomiting onto the floor. He was then taken out of the arena in a wheelchair holding what appeared to be a red-stained white towel to his face, with one poster on X sharing that he had a nose bleed. The spectator posted alongside a photo: "Tracy Morgan getting wheeled out from courtside at MSG .. bleeding from nose .. could barely stand up … hope he’s ok (sic)" The game - which saw the Knicks beat Miami Heat 116-95 - was delayed for around 10 minutes in the third quarter due to the former '30 Rock' actor's medical incident. A spokesperson for the star has yet to comment on what happened or offer an update on his condition. A Madison Square Garden representative told People magazine: "We hope Tracy feels better soon and look forward to seeing him back courtside." This isn't the first time Tracy - who has diabetes and underwent a kidney transplant in 2010 - has experienced public medical issues. In 2012, he collapsed outside a building at the Sundance Film Festival, with his representative saying it was due to a combination of exhaustion and altitude. Tracy - who returned to work a few days later - posted on social media afterwards: “Superman ran into a little kryptonite. The high altitude in Utah shook up this kid from Brooklyn." And in 2014, he broke his leg and was in a coma for two weeks, later relearning how to walk and talk, after the limo he was riding in was hit from behind by a Walmart truck on the New Jersey Turnpike. Tragically, his friend, fellow passenger James McNair, was killed in the accident. Truck driver Kevin Roper - who hadn't slept for 28 hours when he crashed - later accepted a plea deal to complete 300 hours of community service in order to avoid trial. The former 'Saturday Night Live' star previously expressed his forgiveness towards the driver. He told People magazine on the 10th anniversary of the crash last year: “I want to say to everyone who was in the van with me that night I love you, and we miss you, Uncle Jimmy Mac and God bless your family. "And to the driver that night and his family, me and my comrades forgive you."
Tracy Morgan taken out of New York Knicks game in wheelchair
Vietnam paves way for Musk's Starlink, seen as "olive branch" amid US tariff threats
By Francesco Guarascio and Phuong Nguyen
Vietnam paves way for Musk's Starlink, seen as "olive branch" amid US tariff threats
Former Saskatoon Christian school director denies hitting students with paddle
A former director of a private Christian school in Saskatoon is denying allegations that he used a wooden paddle to strike students.
Former Saskatoon Christian school director denies hitting students with paddle
Hulu’s Bumpy Oscar Night: Streaming Experts Unpack The Glitches And Assess The Impact On Disney’s Service
Sunday night’s Oscar telecast started and ended with indelible moments: a stirring Wicked duet and a climactic pair of wins by Anora.
Hulu’s Bumpy Oscar Night: Streaming Experts Unpack The Glitches And Assess The Impact On Disney’s Service
The NHL has nailed its all-star break with the 4 Nations Face-Off. Could it be a blueprint for the NBA?
Yahoo Sports’ great basketball columnist, Vincent Goodwill, summed up the vibe at the just completed — and mostly listless — NBA All-Star weekend as such: “You can’t manufacture soul.”
The NHL has nailed its all-star break with the 4 Nations Face-Off. Could it be a blueprint for the NBA?
Investors react to Trump's address to Congress
(Reuters) -U.S. President Donald Trump took a victory lap in an address to Congress on Tuesday, drawing catcalls and interruptions from some Democratic lawmakers who held up signs and walked out mid-speech in protest.
Investors react to Trump's address to Congress

Advertisement