トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Dollar firms, Aussie steady after RBA's 'hawkish' rate cutン
Dollar firms, Aussie steady after RBA's 'hawkish' rate cut
FILE PHOTO: U.S. one dollar banknotes are seen in this illustration · Reuters

By Ankur Banerjee

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - The dollar firmed on Tuesday as traders weighed tariff worries and the path to U.S. rate cuts, while the Australian dollar held steady near two-month highs after the Reserve Bank of Australia delivered an expected rate cut but cautioned on further easing.

The RBA cut its cash rate by 25 basis points to 4.10% on Tuesday in its first easing since the 2020 pandemic, but was cautious about prospects of further policy easing.

That left the Australian dollar steady at $0.6351 after an initial burst of choppiness following the decision. The Aussie touched a two-month high of $0.6374 on Monday and is up 2.4% in February on easing trade war worries. [AUD/]

Prashant Newnaha, a senior Asia-Pacific rates strategist at TD Securities, said the RBA's statement struck the right balance without boxing in the central bank to delivering a follow-up cut. "That said we retain our forecast for cuts in May and August."

Swaps imply just a 20% probability for a follow-up cut in April, although a move in May is still almost fully priced in.

Speaking at a media conference, Australia's top central banker Michele Bullock said market pricing for two more quarter-point cuts this year was ambitious and policy makers were more cautious about the outlook.

Kerry Craig, global market strategist at J.P. Morgan Asset Management said the RBA's move looks more like an "insurance" cut, which keeps it in step with global central banks, rather than the start of an aggressive easing cycle.

"This easing cycle will certainly not be a sprint to the end, but rather a slow walk on the path towards lower rates and further cuts ahead."

Investor focus this week will be on Wednesday's release of minutes of the Federal Reserve's meeting in January to gauge how policymakers have sought to weigh the risk of a broader tariff war in the wake of President Donald Trump's trade policies.

Data last week showed U.S. consumer prices increased at the fastest pace in nearly 18 months in January, reinforcing the Fed's message that it was in no rush to resume cutting rates amid growing economic worries.

"Trade policy uncertainty is at a record high ... and given that the labour market is solid, there is no compelling case to cut rates imminently," ANZ strategists said in a note.

"An extended pause during the first half of this year looks justified and will give the Fed time to assess the impact of trade measures on inflation."

ANZ now expects rate cuts to resume in the second half of 2025, with a further 75 bps of easing anticipated. Markets though are not as optimistic, with traders pricing in 40 bps of cuts for this year.

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

あなたにおすすめ
Sabres Trade Deadline Disposition – Jason Zucker
Sabres Trade Deadline Disposition – Jason Zucker
As the NHL 4 Nation Face-Off moves to Boston and reaches the end of the preliminary round, NHL clubs will begin to ramp up toward the remaining one-third of the regular season on Saturday. The Buffalo Sabres first practice on Tuesday will not be focused on the remaining 28 games on the schedule, but towards the 17-day countdown to the NHL trade deadline.
Trump, Putin Teams to Talk in Saudi on Ukraine as Europe Fumes
Trump, Putin Teams to Talk in Saudi on Ukraine as Europe Fumes
(Bloomberg) -- Top US and Russian officials are to meet in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday to discuss how to end the war in Ukraine, without anyone from Kyiv taking part and as Europe struggles to respond to the rapid pace of events.
Emma Bunton and Mel B 'reunited in South Korea'
Emma Bunton and Mel B 'reunited in South Korea'
Emma Bunton and Mel B reunited in November to take part in a reality TV show. The 49-year-old pop star and Mel secretly flew to Seoul, South Korea, in late 2024, when they sang alongside K-pop idols for a TV show. A source told The Sun newspaper: "A Spice Girls reunion is a way off. "So having Emma and Mel back on stage singing a Spice Girls song together might be the closest fans get to a comeback, even though it will be with K-pop stars rather than Geri Horner, Melanie C and Victoria Beckham. "They flew to South Korea at the end of last year and were on set for quite a few days as they battled it out with other pop veterans. "With them alone on board, it is a big show. But there’s also Boy George and loads of other chart-topping stars, which will be enough to encourage people to tune in." The reality show will air on Apple TV and will also feature the likes of Megan Thee Stallion and Psy, the 'Gangnam Style' singer. Meanwhile, Melanie recently revealed that she's ready to "start planning" a Spice Girls reunion. The 51-year-old singer would love to reunite with her bandmates to mark the 30th anniversary of 'Wannabe', the group's 1996 hit single. Melanie told Rebecca Judd On Apple Music 1: "There has to be something befitting of 30 years since ‘Wannabe’. "Once a Spice Girl, always a Spice Girl. We all feel like that, but we now are getting together because we know if we're going to do anything, we have to start planning things to get things right. "We have to start making the plans right now and putting them into action. So fingers crossed."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Chinese users turn to off-exchange Congolese copper to ease supply tightness
Chinese users turn to off-exchange Congolese copper to ease supply tightness
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China will import even more off-exchange refined copper this year, according to analysts and traders, as output from the Congo booms and users look to alleviate shortages and head off a potential disruption to supplies of U.S. scrap.
Singapore’s Chocolate Finance Engaging With MAS on Customer Withdrawal Issues
Singapore’s Chocolate Finance Engaging With MAS on Customer Withdrawal Issues
(Bloomberg) -- Singapore’s financial regulator said it is engaging with an online robo-advisor operated by Chocfin Pte. and independent fund custodian Allfunds to ensure all customer withdrawals will be met in an “orderly fashion.”
4月支給の年金から「天引きされるお金」は何?月額17万円の年金で天引き額をシミュレーション
4月支給の年金から「天引きされるお金」は何?月額17万円の年金で天引き額をシミュレーション

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
More Canadian CEOs say business may not be viable in 10 years: PwC
More Canadian CEOs say their business may not be viable in a decade, according to PwC’s latest global survey of top executives.
More Canadian CEOs say business may not be viable in 10 years: PwC
'Youth dividend': Canada's population growth crisis could yield long-term benefits
Canada’s breakneck population growth over the last several years could provide a significant economic advantage in the future, countering the present-day negative strain on infrastructure, services and housing, a CIBC economist says.
'Youth dividend': Canada's population growth crisis could yield long-term benefits
Richard Simmons' Brother Lenny Slams Housekeeper's Claim He Spent $843K from Late Fitness Guru's Trust (Exclusive)
Richard Simmons/X
Richard Simmons' Brother Lenny Slams Housekeeper's Claim He Spent $843K from Late Fitness Guru's Trust (Exclusive)
New Zealand Central Bank Governor Orr Unexpectedly Resigns
(Bloomberg) -- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Governor Adrian Orr has unexpectedly resigned without giving a reason for his sudden departure.
New Zealand Central Bank Governor Orr Unexpectedly Resigns
Love Is Blind Season 8 Proves Our Crusade Against the Bad Boyfriend Has Gone Too Far
It’s taken eight seasons, but I’m finally doing it: I’m publicly sticking up for a Love Is Blind man. (I know, I know — but hear me out!)
Love Is Blind Season 8 Proves Our Crusade Against the Bad Boyfriend Has Gone Too Far
‘Court of Gold’ Director on Making Kevin Durant Cry, Getting Kicked Out of Serbia’s Locker Room and Interviewing 7’3” Victor Wembanyama on a Stool
Not many people can say they’ve been kicked out of a locker room at the Olympics or have made NBA superstar Kevin Durant cry, but director Jake Rogal got an all-access pass to the Paris Summer Olympic Games for Netflix’s basketball documentary “Court of Gold.”
‘Court of Gold’ Director on Making Kevin Durant Cry, Getting Kicked Out of Serbia’s Locker Room and Interviewing 7’3” Victor Wembanyama on a Stool
Loblaw CEO vows to minimize tariff impact, as analysts expect grocers to pass costs on to consumers
Analysts expect that Canadian companies would adapt to higher costs of tariffs by hiking prices for consumers, with Loblaw (L.TO) and Dollarama (DOL.TO) best positioned among food and discretionary retailers when it comes to the trade spat. Loblaw's CEO has vowed that the company would take action to minimize the impact of tariffs on consumers.
Loblaw CEO vows to minimize tariff impact, as analysts expect grocers to pass costs on to consumers
Scarlett Johansson Is Right: Tech Platforms Shouldn’t Profit From Her Likeness In Unauthorized AI – Guest Column
Editors note: Dan Neely is a serial entrepreneur who was recently named to the Time 100 list of the most influential people in AI. He is CEO of Vermillio, a company that uses AI tools to identify and eliminate unauthorized content for clients that include public figures, performers, creators and IP owners. He advocates for greater IP protection and monetization standards around AI.
Scarlett Johansson Is Right: Tech Platforms Shouldn’t Profit From Her Likeness In Unauthorized AI – Guest Column
Courtroom Erupts As A$AP Rocky Is Found Not Guilty On Charges Related To 2021 Hollywood Shooting; Rapper Leaps Into Crowd To Hug Rihanna – Update
UPDATE, 5:03 PM (LA DA Statement added) A$AP Rocky was found not guilty of assault today in a 2021 shooting incident in Hollywood. When the verdicts were read the courtroom erupted in cheers and the rapper literally leapt into the crowd to hug superstar girlfriend Rihanna.
Courtroom Erupts As A$AP Rocky Is Found Not Guilty On Charges Related To 2021 Hollywood Shooting; Rapper Leaps Into Crowd To Hug Rihanna – Update
NAACP Image Awards: Ayo Edebiri, Keke Palmer, Jamie Foxx Among Early Winners
Ayo Edebiri, Keke Palmer and Jamie Foxx’s stand-up special Jamie Foxx: What Had Happened Was were among the winners on the first night of the 56th NAACP Image Awards.
NAACP Image Awards: Ayo Edebiri, Keke Palmer, Jamie Foxx Among Early Winners
Analysis-Whisper it and it's back: Recession risk creeps onto markets' radar
Analysis-Whisper it and it's back: Recession risk creeps onto markets' radar
2025 NHL Draft Spotlight: Jake O'Brien's Elite Playmaking Ability Heating Up Down The Stretch
As the excitement builds for the upcoming 2025 NHL Draft, all eyes are on Jake O'Brien, whose exceptional playmaking ability has been turning heads as of late.
2025 NHL Draft Spotlight: Jake O'Brien's Elite Playmaking Ability Heating Up Down The Stretch
Bank of Canada cuts rates as it warns trade war 'would badly hurt economic activity in Canada'
The Bank of Canada cut its benchmark interest rate by 25 basis points on Wednesday and revised down its growth forecasts, as it flagged the “major uncertainty” of looming potential U.S. tariffs.
Bank of Canada cuts rates as it warns trade war 'would badly hurt economic activity in Canada'
How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
OTTAWA — U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs on Canada and Mexico kicked in at midnight, triggering a North American trade war.
How Canadians are reacting to Donald Trump's tariffs
TD should keep its Schwab stake until it needs it: Scotia analyst
Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD.TO)(TD) should hang on to its remaining stake in U.S. brokerage firm Charles Schwab (SCHW) until a meaningful investment opportunity comes up, a Scotia Capital analyst says.
TD should keep its Schwab stake until it needs it: Scotia analyst
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliation
(Bloomberg) -- Supply Lines is a daily newsletter that tracks global trade. Sign up here.
Trump’s Trade War Expands as Metal Tariffs Spur EU Retaliation
University of Windsor students speak out against job cuts amid $30M budget shortfall
More than 150 students, staff and faculty members marched the streets near the University of Windsor Tuesday morning to protest recent job cuts and service changes at the school.
University of Windsor students speak out against job cuts amid $30M budget shortfall
Washington mayor says Black Lives Matter Plaza near White House to be redesigned
By Kanishka Singh
Washington mayor says Black Lives Matter Plaza near White House to be redesigned
Music Industry Moves: Andrew Klein Named President of Global Partnerships at AEG; Warner Chappell Ups Gabz Landman
AEG Presents has upped Andrew Klein, who previously held the title of senior vice president of global partnerships, to president of global partnerships.
Music Industry Moves: Andrew Klein Named President of Global Partnerships at AEG; Warner Chappell Ups Gabz Landman
Charlie Sheen's daughter Sami 'bullied' for looking like her dad
Charlie Sheen's daughter Sami Sheen was bullied for looking like her famous father. Sami, 20, has admitted the cruel taunts about her appearance from her school mates convinced her she needed to get a nose job and she's also had to deal with comparisons to her actress mother Denise Richards. Speaking to her mom in an episode of family reality show 'Denise Richards and Her Wild Things', Sami explained: "I had to deal with kids bullying me. "People would say I looked like my dad. I actually got a comment the other day of someone saying, ‘You’ll never be as pretty as your mom'." The episode showed Denise driving her daughter to a consultation with a doctor about her planned rhinoplasty prior to the surgery in August and Sami told her mother she had wanted the operation "for as long as [I] can remember", adding: "I have this freaking honker stuck to my face". Sami also pointed to her mom's face as the example of a "perfect" nose as she explained her hope for the surgery to the doctor. Later in the episode, Denise - who is mom to Sami as well as 19-year-old Lola with her ex-husband Charlie- became tearful as she talked about her daughter's desire to go under the knife. She said: "For my daughter to want to get her nose done, it made me so sad. I feel bad that she has to live up to my nose, or whatever, because I don’t want [my daughters] to feel they have to look a certain way ... "There were times I wanted to move the kids out of LA, and I couldn’t because of where I worked. And they had two parents in this business. I feel bad." However, in a confessional, Sami wondered if she would even be considering cosmetic surgery if she wasn't living the celebrity lifestyle in Los Angeles. She said: "I'm really trying to think if we lived in, like, Alabama and I worked a normal job and I wasn't on social media. I probably would still want a nose job."
Charlie Sheen's daughter Sami 'bullied' for looking like her dad

Advertisement