トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Rainy, warm weather leads to flooding, school closures in parts of Quebecン

Rainy, warm weather leads to flooding, school closures in parts of Quebec

MONTREAL — Rain and record warm weather sent several southern Quebec rivers spilling over their banks on Monday, forcing residents from their homes and leading officials to close roads and cancel classes.

Municipal officials in Drummondville, Que., partway between Montreal and Quebec City, asked residents in flood zones to evacuate because of the rising St-François river, which was moving about five times its average speed.

Photos posted online by the municipality showed a red car half submerged in water, and barricaded roads.

Drummondville Mayor Stéphanie Lacoste said the situation had stabilized by late afternoon. In the evening the municipality's civil security organization lifted the evacuation notice for flood-prone areas, saying water levels in Drummondville as well as upstream from the community had dropped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Still, the city urged vigilance. It said patrol teams would continue surveillance of the area overnight and the Sûreté du Québec would maintain a presence on the ground.

Lacoste said municipal workers used heavy equipment last month to try to break up the ice to prevent jamming, but she said the combination of thicker-than-usual ice, a recent near-record snowfall and the warm weather over the weekend created what she called a "favourable cocktail" for flooding.

"Unfortunately, the fact that there was a lot of snow, and that the ice was thick, complicated things a bit," she said.

In Beauceville, Que., south of Quebec City, officials cancelled classes and opened an evacuation centre at the local arena after an ice jam caused the Chaudière river to surge into nearby streets. Several evacuations had taken place by 11 a.m., the city said on its website without giving details.

Officials in St-François-du-Lac, 30 kilometres northwest of Drummondville, asked residents in four sectors to evacuate as a preventive measure.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Quebec government reported medium flooding at three of its water monitoring stations as of 4:30 p.m., as well as five instances of minor flooding and said 15 spots were under surveillance. Environment Canada said several parts of the province recorded record-high temperatures on Sunday, including 20.1 C in Beauceville and 16.4 C in Montreal.

Transport Quebec's traffic monitoring site listed flood-related road closures or disruptions in the Chaudière-Appalaches, Estrie, Laurentides and Lanaudière regions. The site noted that warm temperatures and rain across the province promote "rapid melting of the snowpack and the accumulation of water on the road network," and warned of a risk of hydroplaning.

In Nicolet, Que., a water treatment facility was flooded and had to suspend operations. Residents were asked to limit their water consumption, and officials set up a distribution spot where people could pick up additional supplies with proof of residence.

Several other municipalities said Monday they were monitoring the rising water and preparing to take action if necessary.

In Yamaska, Que., northeast of Montreal, municipal officials said hovercraft were out on Lac St-Pierre and the Yamaska River to clear a path for water to flow, after ice jams left several residents isolated.

ADVERTISEMENT

The municipality posted on Facebook later in the evening that the jams were cleared, and a video that accompanied the post showed the river flowing freely, with some ice chunks floating past.

Officials in Weedon, Que., 155 kilometres south of Quebec City, urged residents to prepare for the possibility of flooding by moving their goods to higher spots in their homes, and bringing in outdoor items that could float away. The town said residents should also pack a bag of essentials and ensure vehicles are in easy-to-access locations if they need to leave their homes.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 17, 2025.

Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

あなたにおすすめ
Factbox-What is US-Ukraine proposed 30-day ceasefire deal about?
Factbox-What is US-Ukraine proposed 30-day ceasefire deal about?
(Reuters) - Ukraine said it would support Washington's proposal for a 30-day ceasefire with Russia after what Kyiv said were 'milestone' talks during which the United States agreed to resume military aid and intelligence sharing with Ukraine.
Steven Spielberg Pranked Harrison Ford on Set by Giving Out ‘About 300 Copies’ of Ford’s Biography That He Despised: ‘Everybody Was Reading That’
Steven Spielberg Pranked Harrison Ford on Set by Giving Out ‘About 300 Copies’ of Ford’s Biography That He Despised: ‘Everybody Was Reading That’
Ke Huy Quan recently told The Guardian that one of his most fond memories of making “The Goonies” was an unforgettable prank producer Steven Spielberg played on Harrison Ford, Quan’s “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” co-star who visited the set during production.
Eric Stonestreet Set to Take Turn to the Dark Side with a Major Arc on “Dexter: Resurrection”
Eric Stonestreet Set to Take Turn to the Dark Side with a Major Arc on “Dexter: Resurrection”
Nathan Congleton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty

Advertisement

Advertisement

The Doughty Effect
The Doughty Effect
The return of Drew Doughty to the Los Angeles Kings lineup ignited fans and teammates alike with a wave of excitement and renewed hope. With their star defenseman back at the helm, the Kings felt like a complete team again, ready to face any challenge. As the 6-foot-1 Canadian participated in the 4 Nations Face-Off against teammate Adrian Kempe, there's potential of him improving his playmaking abilities and returning to the star defenseman form we all know and appreciate.
Former Saskatoon Christian school director denies hitting students with paddle
Former Saskatoon Christian school director denies hitting students with paddle
A former director of a private Christian school in Saskatoon is denying allegations that he used a wooden paddle to strike students.
Canadian Natural Resources downgraded, Suncor and Imperial boosted to 'buy'
Canadian Natural Resources downgraded, Suncor and Imperial boosted to 'buy'
Canadian Natural Resources (CNQ.TO)(CNQ) shares were downgraded by TPH & Co. on Monday. At the same time, the Houston-based research firm joins a growing camp of analysts favouring Suncor Energy (SU.TO)(SU) and Imperial Oil (IMO.TO)(IMO) amid the risk of U.S. tariffs on Canadian crude.

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
The Most Dangerous Foods In Your Refrigerator, According To Foodborne Illness Experts
You open up your fridge all the time — out of hunger, boredom or simply a need to find something to cook for dinner. As great as it is to have food standing by whenever you need it, there are also dangers lurking in that chilly appliance. Is there bacteria brewing in three-day-old cooked rice? Or on the fresh salad greens? Or maybe that raw chicken that’s dripping everywhere? 
The Most Dangerous Foods In Your Refrigerator, According To Foodborne Illness Experts
I had 80% of my stomach removed because of cancer. Now I'm encouraging people not to ignore these troubling symptoms.
By the time she was 44, Teresa Tiano was already intimately familiar with cancer. Not only was she treated for stage 0 bladder cancer eight years earlier, but she had also lost both parents to cancer. In July 2011, she became concerned she would follow in her father's footsteps and develop colon cancer. Although she was younger than the recommended age to begin colon cancer screening, she asked her healthcare providers to book her both an endoscopy and colonoscopy.
I had 80% of my stomach removed because of cancer. Now I'm encouraging people not to ignore these troubling symptoms.
Mexico awaits new response from Google on dispute over Gulf of Mexico name before filing lawsuit
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico said Monday it's awaiting a new response from Google to its request that the tech company fully restore the name Gulf of Mexico to its Google Maps service before filing a lawsuit.
Mexico awaits new response from Google on dispute over Gulf of Mexico name before filing lawsuit
Montreal Dominates Midseason PWHL Award Choices
With Montreal playing its 15th game of the season, the last team to do so, and with no more breaks before the World Championship, I thought it was a good timing to put out my version of the mid-season awards.
Montreal Dominates Midseason PWHL Award Choices
Tokyo was filled with charred corpses after US firebombing 80 years ago. Survivors want compensation
Tokyo was filled with charred corpses after US firebombing 80 years ago. Survivors want compensation
Prince Albert Raiders Become Latest Team To Punch Their Ticket To The 2025 WHL Playoffs
The Prince Albert Raiders are headed to the 2025 WHL Playoffs. Prince Albert secured their spot after a 4-3 shootout win over the Regina Pats. The Raiders are the fourth team from the Eastern Conference and first from the East Division to qualify for this year's postseason.
Prince Albert Raiders Become Latest Team To Punch Their Ticket To The 2025 WHL Playoffs
Trump’s second term already more disruptive than his first, Australia’s foreign minister says
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Donald Trump's second presidency is already more disruptive than his first, Australia's foreign minister said on Wednesday, although she held hopes the country might still get an exemption when it comes to tariffs.
Trump’s second term already more disruptive than his first, Australia’s foreign minister says
Tour a Grand Swiss Chalet With a California Attitude
All products featured on Architectural Digest are independently selected by Architectural Digest editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, Condé Nast may earn an affiliate commission.
Tour a Grand Swiss Chalet With a California Attitude
Snowbirds must soon submit fingerprints for U.S. travel under new Homeland Security rules
Canadians and other foreign nationals who plan to stay in the U.S. for 30 days or longer will soon be required to apply for registration and fingerprinting with the Department of Homeland Security.
Snowbirds must soon submit fingerprints for U.S. travel under new Homeland Security rules
Foegele Signing Looking Better and Better for the LA Kings
When LA Kings’ general manager Rob Blake signed winger Warren Foegele to a three-year deal last July, fans could be forgiven for asking, “who?” Among the many Oilers who have tormented the Kings the past three years in the playoffs, the name Foegele would probably come well after Bouchard, Draisaitl, Ekholm, Hyman, Kane, and McDavid.
Foegele Signing Looking Better and Better for the LA Kings
Singapore’s Chocolate Finance Engaging With MAS on Customer Withdrawal Issues
(Bloomberg) -- Singapore’s financial regulator said it is engaging with an online robo-advisor operated by Chocfin Pte. and independent fund custodian Allfunds to ensure all customer withdrawals will be met in an “orderly fashion.”
Singapore’s Chocolate Finance Engaging With MAS on Customer Withdrawal Issues
Ontario's duelling weather threat: Snow in the north, flood threats in the south
Significant snowfall and flood concerns are underway in Ontario as a potent Colorado low will bring a true tale of two seasons this week, with both significant snow and flooding rains targeting different parts of Ontario through Wednesday. There's even the chance for rumbles of thunder with some heightened instability across the south.
Ontario's duelling weather threat: Snow in the north, flood threats in the south
Porsche warns restructuring, trade tensions to hit year ahead
By Victoria Waldersee
Porsche warns restructuring, trade tensions to hit year ahead
Nebraska Man Missing for 16 Months Found Dead in Wooded Area About Half a Mile from His Home
Facebook
Nebraska Man Missing for 16 Months Found Dead in Wooded Area About Half a Mile from His Home
Millie Bobby Brown plans to 'shave her hair off' again for major life event
Millie Bobby Brown wants to "shave her hair off" when she has her first baby. The 21-year-old actress - who is getting married to Jon Bon Jovi's son Jake Bongiovi - is keen to raise a family in the future, and she'd love to go back to her 'Stranger Things' look by getting rid of her locks in time for giving birth. She told the 'Call Her Daddy' podcast: "I always tell Jake, for my first baby, I want to shave my hair off. "I don’t know. It was really liberating, would suggest it for anyone. Any girl... Maybe [I would shave it] right before I’m about to give birth because I just think hair is such an ordeal anyway to deal with. "I’m gonna nurture my child. Why deal with my hair? And I think it’s such a liberating experience. "To be a woman is, and I felt like I had that experience as a girl, but I’d like to have that experience as a woman." Millie was just 12 years old when she was cast as Eleven in 'Stranger Things', but she had absolutely no qualms about shaving her head before filming the hit Netflix show. She recalled: "I honestly did not care and I’m saying that like I really did not care. I didn’t have anxiety, I wasn’t sad when they shaved it off. "I just thought, 'Cool. Now this is what I’m doing.' I think it started to hit me months and months in where you get to that age where you’re 11 now and you’re shaving it consecutively every three days because it cannot grow past a certain length because we’re filming, so continuity-wise you’re shaving it, so every time it started to grow and I’d get excited, we’d shave it again." She started to feel "insecure" once she and her friends were getting to the age where boys were getting interested in other girls. She added: "So, I think it became to the point where I was like 12, 11 or 12, where I was like, the boys started liking girls and I was kind of like maybe, 'Why are boys not liking me?' "And then I was like, 'I’m feeling insecure now,' so I would put wigs on and I did get really, really bullied. "In public, people would make comments and stuff but honestly, I still to this day loved the experience and I would do it again."
Millie Bobby Brown plans to 'shave her hair off' again for major life event
Couple Arrested for Allegedly Murdering 13-Year-Old Girl Over Stolen Chocolates
Getty
Couple Arrested for Allegedly Murdering 13-Year-Old Girl Over Stolen Chocolates
2025 Awards Season Calendar: Dates For Oscars, Spirits, Tonys, Guilds & More
UPDATED with latest: It’s a new year — time to look at what’s ahead trophy show-wise.
2025 Awards Season Calendar: Dates For Oscars, Spirits, Tonys, Guilds & More
Milei Denies Wrongdoing in His First Defense of Crypto Debacle
(Bloomberg) -- President Javier Milei spoke out for the first time about a cryptocurrency scandal that’s dented his reputation in Argentina, triggering lawsuits and even calls for his impeachment.
Milei Denies Wrongdoing in His First Defense of Crypto Debacle
Trump's tariffs on Canadian steel, aluminum now in place
WASHINGTON — The latest move in U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to realign global trade came into force Wednesday as all countries, including Canada, were hit with 25 per cent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports into the United States.
Trump's tariffs on Canadian steel, aluminum now in place
NAACP Image Awards: Ayo Edebiri, Keke Palmer, Jamie Foxx Among Early Winners
Ayo Edebiri, Keke Palmer and Jamie Foxx’s stand-up special Jamie Foxx: What Had Happened Was were among the winners on the first night of the 56th NAACP Image Awards.
NAACP Image Awards: Ayo Edebiri, Keke Palmer, Jamie Foxx Among Early Winners

Advertisement