トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Winnipeg importer says food prices will rise as U.S. tariffs cause trouble for farmers, consumersン

Winnipeg importer says food prices will rise as U.S. tariffs cause trouble for farmers, consumers

'These tariffs will not only add costs and threaten Manitoba farmers' ability to operate but will impact the livelihoods and purchasing power of countless individuals and businesses on both sides of the border, resulting in increased food costs for U.S. consumers,' Keystone Agricultural Producers' general manager, Colin Hornby, said in a news release. (Arlyn McAdorey/Reuters - image credit)

A Winnipeg food importer and distributor says the cost of food brought in from every part of the world will go up for Canadian consumers and businesses in the wake of U.S. Donald Trump's 25 per cent tariffs.

"When the Canadian dollar suffers, as it's going to, price of everything that we import in Canada, will become that much more expensive, from all over the world. And Canadians will pay for that in spades," said Tom De Nardi, president of Mondo Foods.

De Nardi says U.S. products account for around 10 per cent of what his business imports overall, and most produce he brings in comes from California.

"I'm devastated like all Canadians. Yeah, hurt, angry, all of those emotions," said De Nardi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Keystone Agricultural Producers, a major agricultural group, says the U.S. tariffs will harm farmers and consumers on both sides of the border.

It said Manitoba's agri-food exports were $9.28 billion last year, with 46 per cent going to the U.S.

Red River Genetics, a farm near Lowe Farm, Man., owned by John Nickel, exports all of its hogs to a farm in Minnesota. Photo taken Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2025.
Red River Genetics, a farm near Lowe Farm, Man., owned by John Nickel, exports all of its hogs to a farm in Minnesota. Photo taken Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2025.

Red River Genetics, a farm near Lowe Farm, Man., owned by John Nickel, exports all of its hogs to a farm in Minnesota. (Karen Pauls/CBC)

"These tariffs will not only add costs and threaten Manitoba farmers' ability to operate but will impact the livelihoods and purchasing power of countless individuals and businesses on both sides of the border, resulting in increased food costs for U.S. consumers," the group's general manager, Colin Hornby, said in a news release.

"It's hard to believe that, you know, the Trump administration has only been in place for 43 or 44 days, it feels like an eternity," Hornby told CBC Radio's Radio Noon on Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

In response to Trump's tariffs, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's vowed retaliatory tariffs would be levied on $30 billion in U.S. products until U.S. trade action is withdrawn.

Some U.S. products affected include dairy products, tomatoes, citrus fruit and melons, according to a federal website.

De Nardi says Canada's retaliatory tariffs won't help Canadian shoppers at the checkout.

"All you're doing here is putting more costs on the Canadian consumer at a time where they already are busting at the seams for food costs," said De Nardi.

"That will have a dramatic effect on end user pricing for the consumer that's already stressed currently in their whole financial picture."

Fletcher Baragar, a professor of economics at the University of Manitoba, says slapping the U.S. with tariffs on selected goods will impact the American economy in the short run but only in "bits and pieces."

ADVERTISEMENT

"It's going to take a bit of time for the full effect of that to sort of percolate through in terms of living standards, perhaps business profitability, perhaps employment, and to get the political message sort of through to decision-makers in Washington," said Baragar.

"And so I think it's important that we make that reaction and that we stick with it because I think eventually the economic effects will have an influence."

When it comes to distribution lines and other markets, Bargar says it will be a challenge for businesses to find alternatives to historical trade lines that existed even before free trade agreements signed in 1992 between the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

"That whole model is very much up in the air… suddenly that model just doesn't seem to be applicable, at least at the moment," said Barager.

'U.S. customers simply going to go away?'

The uncertainty is being felt by members of the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Some of the companies that I've talked to do 70 to 80 per cent of their business south of the border," chamber president Chuck Davidson said.

"How big of an impact is that going to be? Are those U.S. customers simply going to go away?"

One Winnipeg-based craft brewery said it would like to see the province act to remove interprovincial trade barriers.

The Nova Scotia government recently introduced a bill aimed at reducing interprovincial trade barriers. Provisions in the bill would only be extended to provinces or territories that adopt similar legislation.

Kevin Selch, founder of Little Brown Jug Brewing Co., said he is "perplexed" on why more premiers haven't moved forward with similar legislation.

"Not only would it make an impact on the economy, it would create business confidence that the political class can actually address some of these issues," he said.

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
The Stock Market Selloff Looks Scary. Watch This Sign for the Time to Buy.
The VIX, which spent much of January and February at or below its long-term average of about 19.5, leapt to 27.1 Monday. Key levels to watch for.
The Stock Market Selloff Looks Scary. Watch This Sign for the Time to Buy.
Red Wings Smothered 2–1 by Carolina, Failing Test and Dropping Third Straight in Regulation
DETROIT — After the morning's skate, Red Wings coach Todd McLellan said that Tuesday evening's game would be a test.  "We're gonna get in the classroom and sit down at the desk and take the test and see what the grade is," he said.  "I'd like to think we can pass."
Red Wings Smothered 2–1 by Carolina, Failing Test and Dropping Third Straight in Regulation
Underrated Senators Defenceman Nikolas Matinpalo Doesn't Deserve To Have His Role Diminished In Ottawa
The inclusion of Nikolas Matinpalo for Finland's Four Nations Faceoff entry raised some eyebrows around this city.
Underrated Senators Defenceman Nikolas Matinpalo Doesn't Deserve To Have His Role Diminished In Ottawa
Canadians have long enjoyed favoured status when travelling to the United States. But new rules that stem from an executive order earlier this year will apply to Canadians the same as any other foreign national.
Canadians and other foreign nationals who plan to stay in the U.S. for 30 days or longer will soon be required to apply for registration and fingerprinting with the Department of Homeland Security.
Canadians have long enjoyed favoured status when travelling to the United States. But new rules that stem from an executive order earlier this year will apply to Canadians the same as any other foreign national.
Richard Simmons' Brother Lenny Slams Housekeeper's Claim He Spent $843K from Late Fitness Guru's Trust (Exclusive)
Richard Simmons/X
Richard Simmons' Brother Lenny Slams Housekeeper's Claim He Spent $843K from Late Fitness Guru's Trust (Exclusive)
Taxes 2025: 7 tips to help you get ahead of the tax season (and the deductions you shouldn't miss)
The April 30 deadline for the 2024 tax year might feel far away with February just starting, but make no mistake, it comes up quickly. If you aren’t prepared, you might be scrambling to file your taxes last minute.
Taxes 2025: 7 tips to help you get ahead of the tax season (and the deductions you shouldn't miss)
Doechii Transforms Into a Couture Queen in Hot off the Runway Valentino Gown
Pascal Le Segretain/Getty
Doechii Transforms Into a Couture Queen in Hot off the Runway Valentino Gown
White House Says It Won't Return Statue of Liberty to France After Lawmaker Demands It Back: 'They Should Be Grateful'
Getty
White House Says It Won't Return Statue of Liberty to France After Lawmaker Demands It Back: 'They Should Be Grateful'
I had 80% of my stomach removed because of cancer. Now I'm encouraging people not to ignore these troubling symptoms.
By the time she was 44, Teresa Tiano was already intimately familiar with cancer. Not only was she treated for stage 0 bladder cancer eight years earlier, but she had also lost both parents to cancer. In July 2011, she became concerned she would follow in her father's footsteps and develop colon cancer. Although she was younger than the recommended age to begin colon cancer screening, she asked her healthcare providers to book her both an endoscopy and colonoscopy.
I had 80% of my stomach removed because of cancer. Now I'm encouraging people not to ignore these troubling symptoms.
Bella Hadid Closes Saint Laurent Paris Fashion Week Runway in Show-Stopping Sheer Lace Dress
Victor VIRGILE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty
Bella Hadid Closes Saint Laurent Paris Fashion Week Runway in Show-Stopping Sheer Lace Dress
Travis Kelce has grown up, says Jason Kelce
Travis Kelce is "changing" because of new people in his life. The 35-sports star has been dating singer Taylor Swift since 2023, and Jason Kelce, Travis' older brother, has been staggered by his sibling's personal evolution. Speaking about his brother's growth, Jason said on the 'Fitz and Whit' podcast: "It’s been staggering, honestly." The 37-year-old star recalled Travis having a Peter Pan-like quality during his younger years. Jason said: "One of the things I love so much about Travis is that he never grew up. He was like Peter Pan, the lost boys." Jason acknowledged that the new people in Travis' life have had a healthy influence on him in recent times. The former NFL star said: "I think that sometimes you get people in your life that maybe get that out of you. That’s a good thing." Despite this, Travis has retained a playful side to his personality. Jason explained: "Trav, he is growing up. He’s still got that youthful enthusiasm. I think he’ll kind of always have that. It’s just part of his personality." Meanwhile, Travis recently admitted to feeling inspired by Taylor during her Eras Tour. The Kansas City Chiefs star admitted to taking inspiration from Taylor, 35, and her record-breaking tour. Speaking ahead of the Super Bowl, Travis explained: "What I saw on that tour last year was pretty remarkable. "To see the week-in, week-out travelling from one country to the next and how excruciating it is on her body and on her mind - and it’s not just her. It was her entire tour. It was an absolute machine and it was something I could admire watching." Travis also revealed that he was focusing on his diet ahead of the Super Bowl. He said: "I’ve been eating clean. I haven’t been drinking as much, a little lower on the pounds this week."
Travis Kelce has grown up, says Jason Kelce
Trump officials eye tariff relief for USMCA-compliant products, Lutnick says
By David Shepardson, Jarrett Renshaw and David Lawder
Trump officials eye tariff relief for USMCA-compliant products, Lutnick says
Jill Saulnier Adjusts Wicked Fast To Her New City
Jill Saulnier was traded to the Boston Fleet on January 21st from the New York Sirens in exchange for Taylor Girard.
Jill Saulnier Adjusts Wicked Fast To Her New City
“Captain America: Brave New World” Director Reveals Moving Reason He Thanked Octavia Spencer in the Credits (Exclusive)
Michael Buckner/Variety via Getty; Rebecca Sapp/Getty
“Captain America: Brave New World” Director Reveals Moving Reason He Thanked Octavia Spencer in the Credits (Exclusive)
Eric Stonestreet Set to Take Turn to the Dark Side with a Major Arc on “Dexter: Resurrection”
Nathan Congleton/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty
Eric Stonestreet Set to Take Turn to the Dark Side with a Major Arc on “Dexter: Resurrection”
Denise Richards' Daughter Lola Says Dad Charlie Sheen Is 'So Good at Helping' Her Through Hard Times: 'He's So Logical'
Bruce Glikas/Getty; Craig Barritt/Getty Images for Diesel
Denise Richards' Daughter Lola Says Dad Charlie Sheen Is 'So Good at Helping' Her Through Hard Times: 'He's So Logical'
Nicole Kidman's Lookalike Teen Daughter Walked the Runway at Paris Fashion Week
Getty images
Nicole Kidman's Lookalike Teen Daughter Walked the Runway at Paris Fashion Week
Tom Sandoval wants to 'move on' from scandal
Tom Sandoval wants to "move on" from his cheating scandal. The 42-year-old reality star split from Ariana Madix in 2023 after it emerged that he had a months-long affair with his 'Vanderpump Rules' co-star Rachel Leviss - but Tom has now drawn a line under the scandal and is instead focusing on his future. He told Us Weekly: "It’s been two years; I want to move on from that and continue with my life." Tom became a public hate figure in the immediate aftermath of the cheating scandal, but the reality star now feels the "hate has died down". He shared: "I want to leave that stuff in the past. "I’m sure there’s still people out there who hold on to that - I know there are - but the hate has died down for sure. Whether they’re laughing with me [or] laughing at me, at least they’re laughing, and that’s what I love." Tom was in a relationship with Ariana from 2013 until 2023, and the celebrity duo actually still own a home together. However, Tom has confirmed that they're currently in the process of finding a solution to the issue. He explained: "It’s been a process. It’s definitely in the works, and I’m looking forward to moving on and closing - like, really fully closing - that chapter. It’s closed in my life, but this is the only thing that’s sort of [still] there." Despite this, Tom also admitted that he continues to be reminded of his past mistakes. The reality star - who is dating model Victoria Lee Robinson - shared: "My girlfriend, Victoria, gets a lot of stuff that’s unfair to her, which I feel really bad about. The only thing she’s guilty of is loving me. I wish people would leave her alone. Save it for me!"
Tom Sandoval wants to 'move on' from scandal
'The best game I've ever been involved in' - Slot on PSG defeat
Liverpool boss Arne Slot described Tuesday's Champions League shootout loss on penalties to Paris St-Germain as "the best game of football I've been involved in", despite his side exiting the competition as a result.
'The best game I've ever been involved in' - Slot on PSG defeat
Jack Schlossberg Makes His Highly Anticipated Return to Social Media
Less than two weeks after Jack Schlossberg went dark on social media, deleting his X and Instagram accounts, he has returned to the internet with multiple posts about the closure of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
Jack Schlossberg Makes His Highly Anticipated Return to Social Media

Advertisement