トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Vandalism, weak sales hit Tesla in Australia and New Zealandン
Vandalism, weak sales hit Tesla in Australia and New Zealand
FILE PHOTO: A Tesla car is driven past a store of the electric vehicle maker in Beijing · Reuters

In This Article:

By Christine Chen and Alasdair Pal

SYDNEY (Reuters) - When Australian Dick Friend bought a Tesla in 2015, he was so impressed with its environmental credentials and performance that he and his wife bought two more of the electric vehicles, plus shares in the Elon Musk-led company.

Now, however, he is selling his Tesla stock and will not replace one of his cars, wrecked in an accident last year, citing his objections to Musk's right-wing tilt and his growing role in the administration of Donald Trump.

"The cars are brilliant, but we don't like the direction of the owner and we're voting with our feet," said Friend, who splits time between homes in Hobart and Melbourne.

Tesla sales in the four months since Trump's election were down 35% compared with the same time last year, according to data from Australia's Electric Vehicle Council, with a spate of vandalism in Australia and New Zealand over the last week also adding to evidence of contagion from Musk's role in the Trump administration.

A spokesperson for Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Tesla sales in the country were already down slightly before Trump's victory, with total sales in 2024 17% lower than a year earlier, in line with weaker sales globally.

Sales in Europe have also fallen amid Musk's support for far-right parties in Europe, Reuters reported last week.

Tesla cars and dealerships in Australia and New Zealand have been vandalised in the last week, echoing protests in the U.S.

Trump said on Tuesday violence against Tesla dealerships would be labelled domestic terrorism, as he appeared with Musk at the White House to select a new Tesla for his staff to use.

In the Australian state of Tasmania, a Tesla dealership was vandalised last week, with graffiti calling Musk a Nazi.

A spokesperson for Tasmania's state police said the force was aware of the incident and was seeking further information.

In a Facebook group for Tesla owners in Australia, several posters said their cars had been vandalised in recent months.

"We’ve had our Tesla Model Y for 2.5 years, and over the past six months, we’ve experienced increasing hostility on the roads," one poster said, adding she planned to sell her car as she no longer felt safe. "After speaking with the police, it seems Teslas are being targeted more frequently."

In neighbouring New Zealand, police said on Wednesday a 52-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday evening in connection with multiple vandalised Teslas in Auckland.

Declines in Tesla sales in New Zealand over the last year mirror those of the electric vehicle sector more broadly, according to data from the Motor Industry of New Zealand, following the removal of government subsides.

(Reporting by Christine Chen and Alasdair Pal in Sydney; Editing by Gerry Doyle)

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

あなたにおすすめ
Wildfires erupt in Texas: Why the risk of blazes is so high there
Wildfires erupt in Texas: Why the risk of blazes is so high there
Wildfires erupted in Texas on Tuesday afternoon in San Patricio County, and in Buda, a town just south of Austin. Strong winds have knocked out power to more than 20,000 customers.
Jack Whitehall teases 'really big night' at the BRITs
Jack Whitehall teases 'really big night' at the BRITs
Jack Whitehall is planning "a really big night" for his BRITs return. The 36-year-old comedian is set to host the awards show for the fifth time in his career on March 1, and Jack is thrilled that he has another chance to host the annual event. Speaking to The Sun newspaper's Bizarre column, Jack explained: "The last show I did was in 2021, which had a fair few restrictions due to COVID. "So it always felt like, due to circumstances beyond my control, I’d maybe gone out with a little bit of a whimper. "I think the Brits 2025 is going to make up for that and be a really big night. "When I first started out I was just like ‘Jack, don’t mess this up. This is such a big opportunity’. You don’t want to say the wrong thing and insult someone and then get taken off air. Then I got to a point where I was like, ‘It’s probably best now to not outstay my welcome’. And now, here I am, back again." Jack previously admitted that he can't wait to return to the role of host, describing the BRITs as his "favourite night of the year". The stand-up comedy star said: "They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, and that is absolutely the case with the BRIT Awards. It is my favourite night of the year." Jack hasn't been available to host the show in recent years due to his jam-packed work schedule. But he's now available and he's thrilled to be hosting the event once again. An insider previously told The Sun newspaper: "Jack is such a brilliant BRITs host and isn’t afraid to take the p*** out of some of the world’s biggest stars. "He has such a hectic diary that he’s been unable to take part for the past few years. But he was available this time and said yes immediately. It is one of his favourite gigs as he can have some real fun with the celebs."
Music Industry Moves: Andrew Klein Named President of Global Partnerships at AEG; Warner Chappell Ups Gabz Landman
Music Industry Moves: Andrew Klein Named President of Global Partnerships at AEG; Warner Chappell Ups Gabz Landman
AEG Presents has upped Andrew Klein, who previously held the title of senior vice president of global partnerships, to president of global partnerships.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Cardiff to assess Ralls injury
Cardiff to assess Ralls injury
Cardiff City will assess Joe Ralls during the international break after he felt a recurrence of a calf problem during his side's 2-1 win at Blackburn Rovers.
'I don't see 25% sticking': BMO chief investment officer on Trump's tariff plan
'I don't see 25% sticking': BMO chief investment officer on Trump's tariff plan
U.S. President Donald Trump’s plan to hit Canada with an up to 25 per cent trade tariff on Feb. 1 boils down to a classic dealmaking tactic, according to the chief investment officer of one of Canada’s largest lenders. Bank of Montreal’s Sadiq Adatia predicts tariffs at that level are unlikely to last long, if they’re imposed at all.
Mother and Son Ignored Repeated Warnings About Aggressive Pit Bulls Before They Mauled Elderly Neighbor to Death
Mother and Son Ignored Repeated Warnings About Aggressive Pit Bulls Before They Mauled Elderly Neighbor to Death
Pickaway County Jail (2)

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
Joshua Jackson Says Emilio Estevez Gave Him Tough Love on Set of “D2: The Mighty Ducks” — and It Changed Everything
Meila Penn / Walt Disney Co. / Courtesy Everett Collection
Joshua Jackson Says Emilio Estevez Gave Him Tough Love on Set of “D2: The Mighty Ducks” — and It Changed Everything
2-Year-Old Boy Who Vanished from Front Yard Found Dead 3 Miles Away in Oregon River
Lincoln County Sheriff's Office
2-Year-Old Boy Who Vanished from Front Yard Found Dead 3 Miles Away in Oregon River
Trump slaps Canadian energy exports with 10% tariffs, leaving oilpatch 'deeply disappointed'
United States President Donald Trump followed through with his tariff threat against Canadian energy on Tuesday, reigniting calls from the sector to overhaul the country's regulatory framework to help move new energy projects forward and reach other export markets.
Trump slaps Canadian energy exports with 10% tariffs, leaving oilpatch 'deeply disappointed'
Trade war would sink TSX 20% or more: Jefferies analyst
The S&P/TSX Composite index could see an “immediate” drop of more than 10 per cent as a consequence of the nascent Canada–U.S. trade war, a Jefferies Financial Group analyst says, with an eventual decline “upwards of 20 per cent” possible “when the dust settles.”
Trade war would sink TSX 20% or more: Jefferies analyst
Former Saskatoon Christian school director denies hitting students with paddle
A former director of a private Christian school in Saskatoon is denying allegations that he used a wooden paddle to strike students.
Former Saskatoon Christian school director denies hitting students with paddle
Capgemini posts 2% sales dip, but beats estimates aided by AI demand
(Reuters) -French IT consulting firm Capgemini reported a 2% drop in its annual constant currency sales on Tuesday, but narrowly beat market expectations, helped by sustained demand for its cloud and AI services.
Capgemini posts 2% sales dip, but beats estimates aided by AI demand
Vin Diesel Hints At Groot Spinoff Movie Based On Marvel’s ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Character: “Disney Wants Their Planet X”
Vin Diesel gave a recap on what he’s working on in 2025 and hinted that he might reprise his role as Groot from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.
Vin Diesel Hints At Groot Spinoff Movie Based On Marvel’s ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Character: “Disney Wants Their Planet X”
'That is a lot of capital': TD shares jump on Schwab stake sale
Shares of Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD.TO)(TD) jumped Monday morning on news the company will sell its remaining stake in Charles Schwab (SCHW), with around $8 billion of the proceeds going towards a share repurchase.
'That is a lot of capital': TD shares jump on Schwab stake sale
Joseph Kosinski & Jerry Bruckheimer Eyeing Reteam On UFO Disclosure-Themed Feature – The Dish
Following collaborations on smash hit Paramount sequel Top Gun: Maverick and the forthcoming Formula 1 pic F1 for Apple and Warner Bros, director Joseph Kosinski and producer Jerry Bruckheimer are eyeing a reteam on a hot new package out to the town.
Joseph Kosinski & Jerry Bruckheimer Eyeing Reteam On UFO Disclosure-Themed Feature – The Dish
Zara owner Inditex meets quarterly sales forecast but recent sales slow
By Helen Reid
Zara owner Inditex meets quarterly sales forecast but recent sales slow
Mike Ferguson, Twana Barnett to Lead ‘Last Hit’ for RadCin
Actors Mike Ferguson and Twana Barnett have joined the cast of “Last Hit,” a new action thriller that also stars Joe Davison, who appeared in the second season of “Stranger Things,” and Levee Duplay, who was in “The Tailor of Sin City.”
Mike Ferguson, Twana Barnett to Lead ‘Last Hit’ for RadCin
3 First Responders Killed in Mississippi Medical Helicopter Crash
University of Mississippi Medical Center/Facebook (3)
3 First Responders Killed in Mississippi Medical Helicopter Crash
Notre Dame dismantles No. 11 Duke in first game as nation's No. 1 team
Notre Dame went into Monday's game against Duke ranked as the nation's No. 1 team for the first time this season.
Notre Dame dismantles No. 11 Duke in first game as nation's No. 1 team
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco taking wedding planning 'one day at a time'
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco are taking "one day at a time" with their wedding planning. The newly-engaged lovebirds aren't rushing into their big day, and 37-year-old musician joked his bride-to-be, 32, is constantly coming up with a whole new idea. He told Rolling Stone magazine in a joint interview: “I think every day she’s planned a new wedding in her head. “We’re very much ‘take it one day at a time’ type of people. We’re still not over this moment. "Literally, while you were talking, she was sitting there staring at her ring.” The 'Only Murders In The Building' actress pointed out that for now, they're focused on the upcoming release of their collaborative album 'I Said I Love You First'. She added: “Also, I genuinely feel like this is such a special time that we get to apply it to this album and really just pour our heart into it, and completely translate what we feel and bring it to the world. "That’s my main focus right now, at least.” In December last year, Selena revealed Benny had proposed using an oval-shaped ring with a large diamond. He popped the question during a picnic which featured Taco Bell, but he insisted there wasn't an "elaborate" meaning behind the fast food involvement, He explained: “There’s not this whole elaborate thing. I think we’re very lucky to be surrounded by such great people, and we’ve still just been enjoying so much. “It feels like we got engaged yesterday, but also feels like we got engaged 20 years ago. I’ve known her since she was 18, and so it’s like we got all that stuff out of the way. "By the time we’re dating, it’s like, whoa. My biggest regret is that we didn’t get to do this earlier, like we waited this long to be together. But I know it was perfect and it was right.”
Selena Gomez and Benny Blanco taking wedding planning 'one day at a time'
Who Killed Gabby Petito? Revisiting the Travel Vlogger's Shocking Murder — and the Warning Signs Her Family Claims Went Unnoticed
Gabby Petito/ Instagram
Who Killed Gabby Petito? Revisiting the Travel Vlogger's Shocking Murder — and the Warning Signs Her Family Claims Went Unnoticed
9 winners and losers from NFL free agency 2025: The Steelers are going all-in on mediocrity
The opening salvos of this year's NFL free agency period are officially behind us. Which, is actually kind of funny since free agency doesn't (officially) start until Tuesday afternoon. Though, honestly, I can't blame NFL teams for not waiting until the last minute. Early birds get the worm, you snooze and you lose ... oh, you get it.
9 winners and losers from NFL free agency 2025: The Steelers are going all-in on mediocrity
Peter Bogdanovich’s Final Film ‘Squirrels to the Nuts’ Released Digitally as Director’s Cut (EXCLUSIVE)
Lionsgate has released a restored director’s cut of the late Peter Bogdanovich’s final film, “Squirrels to the Nuts,” on digital platforms.
Peter Bogdanovich’s Final Film ‘Squirrels to the Nuts’ Released Digitally as Director’s Cut (EXCLUSIVE)
A$AP Rocky is found not guilty in his felony gun trial
A$AP Rocky has been found not guilty in his felony gun trial.
A$AP Rocky is found not guilty in his felony gun trial
Prince Albert Raiders Become Latest Team To Punch Their Ticket To The 2025 WHL Playoffs
The Prince Albert Raiders are headed to the 2025 WHL Playoffs. Prince Albert secured their spot after a 4-3 shootout win over the Regina Pats. The Raiders are the fourth team from the Eastern Conference and first from the East Division to qualify for this year's postseason.
Prince Albert Raiders Become Latest Team To Punch Their Ticket To The 2025 WHL Playoffs
Flyers Goalie Starting For Sweden Against USA
Team Sweden will play their final game of the 4 Nations Face-Off on Feb. 17 against Team USA. After losing each of their first two games in overtime, Sweden will look to go out with a victory.
Flyers Goalie Starting For Sweden Against USA

Advertisement