トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Elon Musk and DOGE promised up to $2 trillion in government savings. How much have they actually saved so far?ン

Elon Musk and DOGE promised up to $2 trillion in government savings. How much have they actually saved so far?

DOGE is claiming $105 billion in savings — but its own "wall of receipts" shows just $19.8 billion.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk
Tesla CEO Elon Musk at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Oxon Hill, Md., Feb. 20. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

As the head of President Trump’s new Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), Tesla CEO Elon Musk has vowed to cut between $1 trillion and $2 trillion from the annual federal budget by 2026.

“I think we can do at least $2 trillion,” Musk said at a Trump rally last October. “Your money is being wasted, and the Department of Government Efficiency is going to fix that.”

Musk later revised that number down — but not by much.

“We’ll aim for $2 trillion, which I believe is the best-case scenario,” Musk said in a January interview on X, the social media site he owns. “But you need to allow for some margin. If we target $2 trillion, I think there’s a strong chance we can achieve $1 trillion in spending cuts."

ADVERTISEMENT

In pursuit of that ambitious goal, Musk and his team have spent their first weeks on the job waging war on the federal bureaucracy: canceling contracts, terminating leases, firing civil servants, blocking payments and dismantling America’s top foreign aid agency.

At the same time, both Trump and Musk have expressed their support for sending $5,000 refund checks to taxpayers as a “DOGE dividend.”

“There’s even under consideration a new concept where we give 20% of the [$2 trillion] DOGE savings to American citizens and 20% goes to paying down debt,” Trump said in Miami on Wednesday.

“I love it,” the president said that night, speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One.

So how much money have Musk and DOGE actually “saved” so far — and are they on track to hit their targets? Yahoo News is updating this story when DOGE releases new information; here are the latest numbers.

On March 2, DOGE posted its third self-audit online in the form of a "wall of receipts." At the top of the page, the organization claimed $105 billion in savings (up from $65 billion a week earlier and $55 billion the week before that).

ADVERTISEMENT

But for the third time, the data didn't compute.

To start, a Yahoo News analysis found that only $19.8 billion in savings were itemized on the page — not $105 billion.

DOGE attempted to address this discrepancy with a new disclaimer. The $105 billion total, they claimed, was a "combination of asset sales, contract/lease cancellations and renegotiations, fraud and improper payment deletion, grant cancellations, interest savings, programmatic changes, regulatory savings, and workforce reductions."

But rather than itemize all $105 billion, they continued, their wall of receipts would instead be limited to "a subset ... representing ~30%" of that total: "contract, grant and lease cancellations."

Even that, however, was inaccurate. Thirty percent of $105 billion is $31.5 billion — and again, just $19.8 billion worth of "receipts" were listed on DOGE's site.

ADVERTISEMENT

At the same time, a series of mistakes have consistently reduced the amount DOGE claimed to be saving — even as the group's top-line number has continued to rise.

On Feb. 18, the New York Times discovered that DOGE’s single-biggest line-item — a contract for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency — was erroneously listed at $8 billion.

Its real value? $8 million, with an m.

On Feb. 19, CBS News reported that DOGE was purporting to save $2 billion by canceling a trio of USAID deals worth $655 million each — but in fact, Musk's team was counting the same $655 million contract three times.

On Feb. 20, the Intercept found that while DOGE was claiming to have canceled a huge, $232 million information technology contract at the Social Security Administration, they had really only nixed a tiny piece of it: a $560,000 project that let users mark their gender as “X.”

ADVERTISEMENT

And in early March, the New York Times revealed that DOGE was taking credit for “canceling” contracts that had ended under previous presidents — including a $144,000 Coast Guard contract that had ended in 2005 but for which DOGE claimed $53.7 million in savings.

"Nobody's going to bat a thousand," Musk previously said during a Feb. 11 appearance with Trump in the Oval Office. "We will make mistakes. But we'll act quickly to correct any mistakes."

By March 4, Musk and his team had been forced to issue multiple rounds of such corrections, either erasing or adjusting 10 of their largest receipts — which they initially valued at more than $14 billion — to reflect their true combined value of less than $1 billion.

Meanwhile, DOGE tripled the number of items on its wall of receipts over the last week (from 2,299 to 6,571), claiming another $10.2 billion in itemized cuts.

While the overall number of receipts continued to rise, as many as 40% of them reported zero savings — and a significant subset still "contain apparent errors and instances of double, triple and even quadruple counting," according to CBS News.

For example, four companies provided DEI training and assessment services under a single $25 million contract with the Department of Agriculture — but DOGE mistakenly listed four separate $25 million contracts totaling $100 million.

Previously, National Public Radio found that since the aforementioned $8 million ICE contract began in 2022, the agency had already used it three times for work totaling $3.5 million. So canceling the contract now could only save the remaining money (i.e., the $4.5 million that hadn't been spent yet).

In addition, “just over half of the contracts touted by DOGE, accounting for $6.5 billion in alleged savings, haven't actually been terminated or closed out” as of Feb. 19, according to NPR’s analysis of a federal government procurement database.

All in all, NPR found the “estimated savings from the initial DOGE list of just over 500 contracts” that have actually been canceled “runs closer to $2 billion” — a fraction of the $55 billion DOGE was claiming at the time.

One week later, after DOGE increased its top-line number to $65 billion, NPR again matched the organization's receipts to federal contracting data — and found that "the savings were essentially unchanged [at] about $2.3 billion."

It’s early yet — but it’s clear from DOGE’s initial rounds of accounting that Musk & Co. still have a long way to go.

If DOGE’s cuts continue at the current (itemized) rate of $19.8 billion every six weeks, for example, they would total just $172 billion by March 2026.

It’s possible that DOGE might get some help from congressional Republicans in the months ahead. Seeking to cram Trump’s entire agenda into a single budget bill that can survive the Senate with 51 votes through a process known as reconciliation, the House GOP recently passed a package with $2 trillion in cuts — mostly to Medicaid and antipoverty programs.

It’s an approach that Trump has endorsed (even though he has also promised not to alter Medicaid).

The problem is that Musk’s deadline is 2026 — and those savings would be spread out over 10 years, not one. The House bill also includes extensions to Trump's 2017 tax cuts that would reduce government revenue by $4 trillion over the next decade, more than offsetting any savings.

Experts say that if the Trump Administration actually wants to slash trillions from the annual federal budget, they will either have to eviscerate sacrosanct defense spending and social-safety net programs that remain popular with the public — things the president has already declared off-limits — or eliminate everything else.

So far, DOGE has barely touched the biggest sources of contract spending in the federal budget, like defense, choosing instead to focus on much smaller areas of investment such as foreign aid, education and programs that promote diversity, equity and inclusion.

"It is completely impossible for DOGE to save $2 trillion," Jessica Riedl, an economist and senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a conservative-leaning think tank, recently told CBS. "Two-thirds of the $7 trillion federal budget goes to Social Security, Medicare, defense, veterans and interest on the debt — all of which has been taken off the table by President Trump. Saving $2 trillion would require eliminating nearly every remaining federal program.”

Unfortunately, Riedl continued, “DOGE has no legal or constitutional authority to cut this spending; Congress must pass a law.”

Graphics by Mike Bebernes

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

あなたにおすすめ
Trump to address Congress tonight: What time, where to watch and what to expect
Trump to address Congress tonight: What time, where to watch and what to expect
Hours after imposing sweeping new tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China, President Trump will deliver a nationally broadcast speech tonight to a joint session of Congress, the first such address of his second term.
Colombia's Petro calls referendum for stalled health, labor reforms
Colombia's Petro calls referendum for stalled health, labor reforms
BOGOTA (Reuters) -Colombian President Gustavo Petro said on Tuesday that he would call a national referendum so that voters can weigh in on his embattled health and labor reforms amid a lack of support for the proposals in the country's legislature.
President of NYU's College Republicans Forced to Resign After Calling Barron Trump an 'Oddity on Campus'
President of NYU's College Republicans Forced to Resign After Calling Barron Trump an 'Oddity on Campus'
Chip Somodevilla/Getty

Advertisement

Advertisement

Petronas Mulls Over $1 Billion Loan for Malaysian LNG Project
Petronas Mulls Over $1 Billion Loan for Malaysian LNG Project
(Bloomberg) -- Malaysia’s Petroliam Nasional Bhd is in talks with banks for a potential loan to fund a liquefied national gas project, according to people familiar with the matter.
These are the Canadian sectors most vulnerable to Trump tariffs, according to Desjardins
These are the Canadian sectors most vulnerable to Trump tariffs, according to Desjardins
A new Desjardins report says there are five sectors of the Canadian economy that are most vulnerable to incoming U.S. President Donald Trump's proposed tariffs, with exemptions expected for the energy and automotive sectors. "With Trump set to take office on Jan. 20, Canadian companies are rightly highly concerned. Some should be more worried than others," Desjardins principal economist Florence Jean-Jacobs wrote in a report released on Friday.
Too Bonkers to Be Believed? Why the Creators of the Broadway Musical ‘Operation Mincemeat’ Had to Cut Some Real-Life Details From the True Story
Too Bonkers to Be Believed? Why the Creators of the Broadway Musical ‘Operation Mincemeat’ Had to Cut Some Real-Life Details From the True Story
The real-life story behind the Olivier Award-winning musical “Operation Mincemeat” isn’t just stranger than fiction. It’s so strange that some parts of the story proved just too much for audiences to buy.

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
3 Teens Killed in New Jersey Highway Chain-Reaction Crash: 'It’s an Immense Loss'
BOUCHER FUNERAL HOME; Brenden Cary/Facebook
3 Teens Killed in New Jersey Highway Chain-Reaction Crash: 'It’s an Immense Loss'
Indonesia Forces Exporters to Keep FX Earnings Onshore
(Bloomberg) -- Indonesia is pushing ahead with a plan to force natural resource exporters to keep more foreign exchange earnings onshore in Southeast Asia’s largest economy, aiming to bolster central bank reserves by $80 billion and reverse a slide in the country’s beleaguered currency.
Indonesia Forces Exporters to Keep FX Earnings Onshore
Oil Advances as US Joins Chorus Slashing Global Glut Forecasts
(Bloomberg) -- Oil extended a gain as the US cut its forecast for a global oversupply, following similar moves by other market watchers including the International Energy Agency.
Oil Advances as US Joins Chorus Slashing Global Glut Forecasts
Hedge funds, pharma CEOs on list of attendees for China business summit
By Laurie Chen
Hedge funds, pharma CEOs on list of attendees for China business summit
Luka Dončić leads Lakers to blowout win over Spurs with near-triple-double
Luka Dončić and the Los Angeles Lakers had no issues Monday night.
Luka Dončić leads Lakers to blowout win over Spurs with near-triple-double
Here's the Real Story Behind Doechii's Intentionally Visible Face Tape
Lemme guess: You're doing a deep dive on Doechii after her sickening Grammys performance (and historic win as the third woman to take home the award for Best Rap Album). You've already tapped into her gig on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and know her NPR Tiny Desk Concert by heart, but you couldn't help but notice a certain accessory she pairs with all her iconic looks.
Here's the Real Story Behind Doechii's Intentionally Visible Face Tape
Red Wings Smothered 2–1 by Carolina, Failing Test and Dropping Third Straight in Regulation
DETROIT — After the morning's skate, Red Wings coach Todd McLellan said that Tuesday evening's game would be a test.  "We're gonna get in the classroom and sit down at the desk and take the test and see what the grade is," he said.  "I'd like to think we can pass."
Red Wings Smothered 2–1 by Carolina, Failing Test and Dropping Third Straight in Regulation
Samsung Electronics to cancel $2.11 billion worth of own shares
SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics has decided to cancel 3.05 trillion won ($2.11 billion) worth of its own shares that it had acquired previously, the company said in a regulatory filing.
Samsung Electronics to cancel $2.11 billion worth of own shares
Chinese users turn to off-exchange Congolese copper to ease supply tightness
SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China will import even more off-exchange refined copper this year, according to analysts and traders, as output from the Congo booms and users look to alleviate shortages and head off a potential disruption to supplies of U.S. scrap.
Chinese users turn to off-exchange Congolese copper to ease supply tightness
ANZ raises 6-month gold forecast to $3,200 per ounce
(Reuters) -ANZ raised its zero to 3-month gold price forecast to $3,100 per ounce and 6-month forecast to $3,200 per ounce, according to a research note on Tuesday.
ANZ raises 6-month gold forecast to $3,200 per ounce
Seven & i's management reshuffle continues as two independent directors resign
TOKYO (Reuters) -Two independent directors of Japan's Seven & i Holdings have resigned, the convenience store operator said on Wednesday, as it rejigs its management in the face of a $47 billion takeover bid from Canada's Alimentation Couche-Tard.
Seven & i's management reshuffle continues as two independent directors resign
Donald Trump Says He’s Received Letter From Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelensky Saying He’s Ready To Negotiate Peace Deal With Russia — Update
UPDATE: Five days after the blowup in the Oval Office, Donald Trump said that he had received a letter from Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky saying that he is “ready to come to the negotiating table as soon as possible.”
Donald Trump Says He’s Received Letter From Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelensky Saying He’s Ready To Negotiate Peace Deal With Russia — Update
Rick Buckler Dies: The Jam’s Drummer Was 69
Rick Buckler, founding drummer for popular and influential British rock trio The Jam, died February 17 after a short illness, his management company said in a statement. He was 69.
Rick Buckler Dies: The Jam’s Drummer Was 69
Peter Bogdanovich’s Final Film ‘Squirrels to the Nuts’ Released Digitally as Director’s Cut (EXCLUSIVE)
Lionsgate has released a restored director’s cut of the late Peter Bogdanovich’s final film, “Squirrels to the Nuts,” on digital platforms.
Peter Bogdanovich’s Final Film ‘Squirrels to the Nuts’ Released Digitally as Director’s Cut (EXCLUSIVE)
Tokyo was filled with charred corpses after US firebombing 80 years ago. Survivors want compensation
Tokyo was filled with charred corpses after US firebombing 80 years ago. Survivors want compensation
CIBC's chief market technician picks 10 stocks for February 2025
U.S. President Donald Trump’s attempt to recast American foreign trade has been a rollercoaster ride for Canadian investors. For those looking to tune out the noise from south of the border, CIBC Capital Markets chief market technician Sid Mokhtari has a top 10 “best ideas” list for investors in February 2025.
CIBC's chief market technician picks 10 stocks for February 2025
Warmth to return to southern Ontario, but there will be a rainy catch
While Wednesday will bring a chill back to the southern Ontario, you won’t have to wait long for temperatures to rebound again. However, the warmth will come with rain and a thunderstorm threat rather than sunshine.
Warmth to return to southern Ontario, but there will be a rainy catch
Sutton Stracke's 3 Kids: All About the “RHOBH” Star's Daughter Porter and Sons Philip and James
Stefanie Keenan/Getty
Sutton Stracke's 3 Kids: All About the “RHOBH” Star's Daughter Porter and Sons Philip and James
‘Court of Gold’ Director on Making Kevin Durant Cry, Getting Kicked Out of Serbia’s Locker Room and Interviewing 7’3” Victor Wembanyama on a Stool
Not many people can say they’ve been kicked out of a locker room at the Olympics or have made NBA superstar Kevin Durant cry, but director Jake Rogal got an all-access pass to the Paris Summer Olympic Games for Netflix’s basketball documentary “Court of Gold.”
‘Court of Gold’ Director on Making Kevin Durant Cry, Getting Kicked Out of Serbia’s Locker Room and Interviewing 7’3” Victor Wembanyama on a Stool
Denise Richards Says She Will 'Never Get Divorced' from Husband Aaron Phypers — 'Even if We Hate Each Other'
Denise Richards is in her marriage for the long haul.
Denise Richards Says She Will 'Never Get Divorced' from Husband Aaron Phypers — 'Even if We Hate Each Other'

Advertisement