トップ > ニュース一覧 > 記事
Honda ready to revive takeover talks if Nissan CEO Uchida leaves, FT reportsン
Honda ready to revive takeover talks if Nissan CEO Uchida leaves, FT reports
FILE PHOTO: Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors hold a joint press conference on their merger talks · Reuters

In This Article:

(Reuters) -Honda Motor will resume talks with Nissan Motor to form the world's fourth-biggest automaker provided Nissan CEO Makoto Uchida steps down, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday citing a person familiar with discussions.

Japan's second- and third-largest automakers by sales after Toyota Motor had been in talks to create a $60 billion firm after a lack of hybrid models in the U.S. and competition from local rivals in China had sent Nissan's earnings diving.

Those talks collapsed last week, plunging Nissan into further uncertainty and highlighting the pressure on legacy automakers, particularly from emerging Chinese giants disrupting the industry.

Nissan declined to comment to Reuters on the FT report. Honda said the report was not something it had announced.

Uchida has been under pressure to turn Nissan around after years of faltering sales and management turmoil left the company a diminished force. Reuters reported in December that subsequent months would be critical for Uchida and Nissan's future.

Merger talks with Honda unravelled in a little more than a month due to Nissan's pride and insufficient alarm about its predicament, as well as Honda's proposal to make its smaller peer a subsidiary, sources previously told Reuters.

The FT reported that Honda is willing to revive negotiations with a Nissan boss who can more effectively manage internal opposition. Honda CEO Toshihiro Mibe last week said his company had no plan to launch a hostile takeover bid for Nissan.

Nissan has been working on a turnaround programme under which it plans to reduce its workforce by 9,000 people and global manufacturing capacity by 20%. It said on Thursday it would provide an update on the programme within a month.

Uchida has expressed his intention to stay until 2026, but is facing pressure to step down in coming months from board members and French partner Renault following the failure of negotiations with Honda, the FT reported.

Nissan's board of directors has also started informal discussions regarding the timing of Uchida's departure, the FT reported.

(Reporting by Daniel Leussink in Tokyo and Rhea Rose Abraham in Bengaluru and Urvi Dugar; Editing by Sherry Jacob-Phillips and Christopher Cushing)

続きを読む

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

アクセスランキング
WATCH: Footage of Brad Marchand skating with Florida Panthers in Boston
On Monday, something unexpected happened in a familiar place.
WATCH: Footage of Brad Marchand skating with Florida Panthers in Boston
Only seven countries met WHO air quality standards in 2024, data shows
By David Stanway
Only seven countries met WHO air quality standards in 2024, data shows
Bear Clan partners with Crime Stoppers and Aboriginal Alert to bring more missing Manitobans home
Bear Clan Patrol is teaming up with Aboriginal Alert and Winnipeg Crime Stoppers in hopes of finding more missing people, an initiative they say has been in the works for four years.
Bear Clan partners with Crime Stoppers and Aboriginal Alert to bring more missing Manitobans home
‘Captain America: Brave New World’s Julius Onah On Why He Thanks Octavia Spencer In Movie Credits
Julius Onah is the director behind Marvel’s Captain America: Brave New World, and in the “Special Thanks” credits, there was a shoutout to Octavia Spencer.
‘Captain America: Brave New World’s Julius Onah On Why He Thanks Octavia Spencer In Movie Credits
Connor McDavid Dominates As Canada Avoids Disaster
Nobody said it would be easy.
Connor McDavid Dominates As Canada Avoids Disaster
Hedge funds, pharma CEOs on list of attendees for China business summit
By Laurie Chen
Hedge funds, pharma CEOs on list of attendees for China business summit
Patricia Heaton says 'The Middle,' 'Everybody Loves Raymond' were TV 'perfection' and don't need reboots
Patricia Heaton was a mainstay on television for two decades, thanks to the sitcoms Everybody Loves Raymond and The Middle. Now, the actress has a question for Hollywood: "Where's my reboot?"
Patricia Heaton says 'The Middle,' 'Everybody Loves Raymond' were TV 'perfection' and don't need reboots
Swan Wanders onto Busy Florida Highway, Halting Traffic and Causing Near-'Catastrophic' Police Chase
Orlando Police Department/Facebook
Swan Wanders onto Busy Florida Highway, Halting Traffic and Causing Near-'Catastrophic' Police Chase
Sundance Award Winner Michal Marczak to Direct Documentary ‘Closure,’ About a Father’s Search for His Missing Teenage Son
Nine years after “All These Sleepless Nights” premiered at the Sundance Film Festival to great acclaim and picked up the directing prize in the World Cinema – Documentary category, Polish director Michał Marczak is gearing up to make “Closure.” The project, selected as part of the Pitching Forum at the Thessaloniki Documentary Festival’s industry section, Agora, follows a father as he scours the depths of Poland’s Vistula River in search of his missing teenage son.
Sundance Award Winner Michal Marczak to Direct Documentary ‘Closure,’ About a Father’s Search for His Missing Teenage Son
‘Richard II’ Review: Jonathan Bailey Shows Off His Shakespearean Chops in a Stern, Stripped-Down Production
“Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it.” OK, that’s the wrong play since it’s a line from “Macbeth,” but it best sums up Jonathan Bailey’s performance in the new London production of “Richard II”: The actor cranks up several gears the moment his character is forced by usurper Henry Bullingbrook to give up the throne of England for a life of imprisonment in the second half of director Nicholas Hytner’s staging of Shakespeare’s history play. But the fact that Bailey takes time to catch fire is not entirely his fault, since neither Shakespeare nor Hytner make life easy for him. Given that the play is set at the close of the 14th century, it’s no surprise that Hytner believes the play, which depicts the ushering in of a nation’s decades-long succession crisis, needs contemporary reference points. That explains composer Grant Olding’s doom-laden, grinding, low strings that herald a driving rhythm and a light-touch, bitter piano melody opening the production, a clear hat-tip to Nicholas Britell’s Beethoven-tinged theme to “Succession.” It also governs Bob Crowley’s crisp men-in-black-suits design. The antithesis of the exuberantly colored “Guys and Dolls,” the last show to play at Hytner’s physically versatile Bridge Theatre (and which ran almost two years), this limited run of “Richard II” is stripped-down and stern. Gone is the expected heraldry and splendor of the English court in which King Richard traditionally basks. Instead, the audience is arranged in the round observing a traverse-style black runway staging with changing, minimal locations being lifted up through the floor on hydraulics. It makes for welcome fluidity, highly useful in a play that, for the first half at least, moves through an uncomfortable number of locations and a load of exposition.This is a story about the threat to the kingdom and, specifically, Richard, who ruled neither wisely nor well with absolute power by ancient Divine Right. The nation is torn apart by the plots and counterplots of men and their forces loyal to the crown and those backing Henry Bullingbrook, the Duke of Hereford who, successfully as it turns out, puts his eyes on the ultimate prize and steals it.That the tussle for dominance between the men is so potentially dramatic is illustrated by the fact that around fifty years ago, Richard Pasco and Ian Richardson, two leading Shakespeareans of their day, alternated the roles when they led the play in a celebrated RSC production. Here, alas, the balance is uneven. Royce Pierreson is nicely forthright and determined but his performance is unvarying. The wonderfully character-driven abdication scene between the two men is the production’s highpoint, but elsewhere Pierreson’s determination is too one-note. Anyone questioning the wisdom of the star-casting of “Bridgerton” and “Wicked” talent Bailey should bear in mind that he played Cassio in Hytner’s riveting “Othello” at the National Theatre back in 2013 and followed that with an arresting Edgar/Mad Tom opposite Ian McKellen’s King Lear for director Jonathan Munby. As a result, his handling of the language and, crucially, the intent behind it, is entirely easeful. His king is self-satisfied and perfectly petulant, dispatching orders, and often men’s lives, with gleaming disdain. He’s even better when he’s calmly and quietly coming to understand himself and the nature of his previous selfishness in the play’s highly reflective and tender final scenes.But between those extremes of temperament, the living center of the character remains unseen, robbing the production of strength. That’s partly because he has to energize scenes that here lack force. Hytner is unquestionably one of the great directors of Shakespeare, but this production is uncharacteristically undercast in places. Some of the acting proves more proficient than powerful.
‘Richard II’ Review: Jonathan Bailey Shows Off His Shakespearean Chops in a Stern, Stripped-Down Production
Olivia Munn pays heartwarming tribute to late agent Tony Etz
Olivia Munn is heartbroken after the death of her literary agent Tony Etz. The 'Newsroom' star has paid tribute to her agent, who died on Monday (10.03.25) aged 64 after battling Chordoma, a rare form of bone cancer. She wrote on her Instagram Story: "This makes me incredibly sad. This is my literary agent who passed away from cancer yesterday; but that's not how he deserves to be remembered. "He should be remembered as one of the good guys in our business. They didn't get better and kinder than Tony. "Rest in love, my friend. My thoughts are with his sweet family." In a second post, Olivia - who previously battled breast cancer - simply added: "We all love you, Tony. F*** CANCER." Tony spent three decades at the Creative Artists Agency (CAA), with his career seeing him represent several directors, actors, producers and writers, while he was also involved in shows like 'Grey's Anatomy', 'House' and 'Jackass'. Almost two years ago, he requested to write his own obituary, and summed up his career in two lines. As quoted by Deadline, he said: "Over 30 years as a packaging agent, I was foundational in the sale of 'Jackass', 'House', 'Lost', 'Rescue Me', 'Big Little Lies', 'Jury Duty' and 'Tracker' and dozens of other shows. “And I have been a proud citizen of the best city state in the business.” He married fellow TV agent Nancy Etz in 1999 during her time at ICM, and she would join him at CAA seven years later, while they went onto have son Alex together. In a tribute, Peter Tolan - who co-created 'Rescue Me' and 'The Job' - hailed him as "deeply mourned" and "irreplaceable". He added: "He defended those of us who were fortunate enough to be his clients with a ferocity most of our own mothers would be unable to duplicate.” While longtime client Paul Attanasio said: "He had the sensitivity to understand what was unique to me (which I would constantly doubt) but then the breadth of vision to understand how that fit in the larger world (which I didn’t understand at all). "That was the secret ingredient in whatever I was able to accomplish in television. I couldn’t have done it without him.”
Olivia Munn pays heartwarming tribute to late agent Tony Etz
Did a Thrilling FBI Just Stealth-Introduce a Love Interest for Maggie?
The following contains spoilers from the Feb. 18 episode of CBS’ FBI.
Did a Thrilling FBI Just Stealth-Introduce a Love Interest for Maggie?
Trump to address Congress tonight: What time, where to watch and what to expect
Hours after imposing sweeping new tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China, President Trump will deliver a nationally broadcast speech tonight to a joint session of Congress, the first such address of his second term.
Trump to address Congress tonight: What time, where to watch and what to expect
Lauren Burnham Shares Adorable First Trimester Memories of Baby No. 4, Including Daughter Alessi, 5, Sharing a Sweet Message
Lauren Burnham/instagram
Lauren Burnham Shares Adorable First Trimester Memories of Baby No. 4, Including Daughter Alessi, 5, Sharing a Sweet Message
'Conservative Girl' Fashion Is Definitely A Thing — And Not Just In The U.S.
“Conservative girl” makeup recently has gone viral for all the wrong reasons: over-application, mismatched foundation, cavalier disregard for god-given brow density. But is conservative fashion similarly uninspired? And is it the same across the world as it is in the United States?
'Conservative Girl' Fashion Is Definitely A Thing — And Not Just In The U.S.
Italy’s Sondrio Vows Payouts as It Seeks to Fend Off BPER Bid
(Bloomberg) -- Banca Popolare di Sondrio SpA said it plans to return about €1.5 billion ($1.6 billion) to shareholders by 2027, as the Italian lender seeks to defend against a takeover bid from rival BPER Banca SpA.
Italy’s Sondrio Vows Payouts as It Seeks to Fend Off BPER Bid
Love Is Blind Season 8 Proves Our Crusade Against the Bad Boyfriend Has Gone Too Far
It’s taken eight seasons, but I’m finally doing it: I’m publicly sticking up for a Love Is Blind man. (I know, I know — but hear me out!)
Love Is Blind Season 8 Proves Our Crusade Against the Bad Boyfriend Has Gone Too Far
Analysis-Europe's airlines pivot to bite size M&A deals to limit cost, regulatory burden
By Joanna Plucinska and Andres Gonzalez
Analysis-Europe's airlines pivot to bite size M&A deals to limit cost, regulatory burden
3 Teens Killed in New Jersey Highway Chain-Reaction Crash: 'It’s an Immense Loss'
BOUCHER FUNERAL HOME; Brenden Cary/Facebook
3 Teens Killed in New Jersey Highway Chain-Reaction Crash: 'It’s an Immense Loss'
“NCIS: Los Angeles” Alum Chris O'Donnell to Star in “9-1-1 ”Spinoff Set in Nashville
Sonja Flemming/CBS via Getty
“NCIS: Los Angeles” Alum Chris O'Donnell to Star in “9-1-1 ”Spinoff Set in Nashville

Advertisement